PC based OBDII Scanner software

  • dnoviman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      Does anyone in the group have experience with any of the PC based
      OBDII Scanner softwere?

      Here are 3 that looked into. Any comments

      1. Dyno-Scan for Windows - http://www.auterraweb.com/scantools.html
      2. OBDScanUSB from Harrison R&D
      3. AutoEnginuity - http://www.autoenginuity.com

      Thanks for everyones help
    • fivereels
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "dnoviman" <dnoviman@y...> wrote:
        > Does anyone in the group have experience with
        > any of the PC based OBDII Scanner softwere?

        I have this PC based unit:

        BR3 -- http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

        It works with the Catera. It's $96. Partial kits
        are $38 and $56.

        A lot of bang for the buck. Only problem has been that
        on occasion I've had to retry a couple times to get it
        "talking" with the Catera's on-board computer. I'm
        very pleased with the unit and the software.
        Support has been superb. Software upgrades are free.

        I also have a standalone AutoXray 2000 handheld
        scanner. The BR3 gives you a lot more diagnostic
        information such as fuel trim and coolant
        temperature, and so on, but the AutoXray is easier
        if you just want to pull a trouble code.

        Midway Auto Supply seems to have the best prices on
        AutoXray scanners -- http://www.midwayautosupply.com/
        That is where I picked up mine.

        I've recently seen a new model Actron handheld scanner
        at PepBoys and Advance Auto for $79. Don't know if it
        works with the Catera.

        However, for maximum diagnostic information, you can't
        beat a PC based unit. I really like my BR3.

        - Hal
      • Russ
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
          I have been using the Harrison ODBII scan cable and software with my
          lap top for a few years and on several different cars including the
          Catera. I have the serial cable version (with a standard adapter)and
          the latest version is USB. This product will not read ABS or program
          the security keys, I understand only the real high end scan tools can
          do that.

          I have found a couple annoying situations with it. The software
          doesn't remember which com port to use (WinXP-HE); I have to select
          COM5 and then it reads. This may be the serial cable problem.

          The second concern is selecting parameters to monitor on the graphs.
          Sometimes I can only select one even though I think it provides for
          six at one time. I have informed Harrison about this and they have
          made suggestions, which worked, sometimes. I thought I did not have
          the latest software downloaded, but they confirmed that I did. So I
          just keep on using it and hoping for a new software release.

          What it does real well, is read the vehicle computer and allow me to
          save all the data in a text file that I can save and print out for
          later comparison. And, I can clear the check engine codes easily.
          Right now I have to do that every few months because I get a mass air
          code that does not come back again after it is cleared. Thus, the
          dealer would not be able to get a repeat failure to justify a warranty
          claim and get something replaced. (Mass air sensor, perhaps)

          I can drive the car around and monitor the readings, which is neat.
          Maybe a stand alone scan tool would be more convenient, but I like the
          graphs and reports I can get with my lap top.