Re: tires

  • cateraowners
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
      Although I've had performance tires from just about every
      manufacturer there is, my own choice for the Catera's replacement was
      the Yokohama AVS Db's. They were available through Discount Tire
      (www.tires.com) or Tire Rack, and were reasonably priced ($103 at
      present through Tire Rack), WR-rated 320 AA's (as compared to the H-
      Rated RS-A's 260 AA's). The test reports I'd read on these
      Yokohama's suggested ride and noise would be good (they were
      correct), and they've outperformed the RS-A's in every aspect except
      perhaps snow traction, where the AVS Db's were only so-so (they are
      M+S rated, but I never drove the RS-A's in snow). The Tire Rack web
      site (www.tirerack.com) has a lot of great stuff on it, try that one
      for additional info. I should add the Kuhmo line of performance
      tires has been getting very high marks from Tire Rack customers at
      very reasonable prices as well. I should add that the AVS Db's are
      asymmetrical, and cannot be rotated from side-to-side without
      dismounting (which my Discount Tire will do for me, if I wish). Good
      luck and welcome to the Group!

      --- In CateraOwners@y..., "chipgray2" <chipgray@o...> wrote:
      > New Owner of 1998 with 23K. I've seen the tire and alignment
      comments
      > on this site and have the TSB for alignment. The car still has the
      > original Goodyear RSA's and they should be replaced. I've always
      had
      > great results with Michelins. RIDE COMFORT is the most important
      > criteria that we're looking for. My wife will be using the car,
      > unless I can pry it away from her. Toyo, Yokohama, Michelin,
      > Bridgestone, Continental have all been recommended from the dealers
      > I've talked to, I think most recommendations are based on profit
      > margin. I think I would like to stay with the Michelins, but the
      > Symmetry and the MXV4 Plus don't come in the exact 225/55/16. I
      know
      > the Symmetry is only S or T speed rated, but driving only 60-70 is
      > that a problem? Can I go to a 225/60 or 215/60 without a lot of
      > compromise. I can move up to the Pilot XGT in the correct size, but
      > think its ride characteristics are not as comfortable as the other
      > two tires mentioned. Any comments or suggestions? Great,
      informative
      > site.
      > Thanks
      > Journeyman
    • cateraowners
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
        I should also add, if you HAVE to have Michelins, that there are
        eight types available via the Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com), from the
        Pilot HX MXM4's at $115 to the Pilot Sport at $193. I wouldn't put
        less than an H-Rated tire on this car, and there are lots of good
        choices available. Good luck!

        --- In CateraOwners@y..., "chipgray2" <chipgray@o...> wrote:
        > New Owner of 1998 with 23K. I've seen the tire and alignment
        comments
        > on this site and have the TSB for alignment. The car still has the
        > original Goodyear RSA's and they should be replaced. I've always
        had
        > great results with Michelins. RIDE COMFORT is the most important
        > criteria that we're looking for. My wife will be using the car,
        > unless I can pry it away from her. Toyo, Yokohama, Michelin,
        > Bridgestone, Continental have all been recommended from the dealers
        > I've talked to, I think most recommendations are based on profit
        > margin. I think I would like to stay with the Michelins, but the
        > Symmetry and the MXV4 Plus don't come in the exact 225/55/16. I
        know
        > the Symmetry is only S or T speed rated, but driving only 60-70 is
        > that a problem? Can I go to a 225/60 or 215/60 without a lot of
        > compromise. I can move up to the Pilot XGT in the correct size, but
        > think its ride characteristics are not as comfortable as the other
        > two tires mentioned. Any comments or suggestions? Great,
        informative
        > site.
        > Thanks
        > Journeyman
      • amylynnk7
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 26, 2009
          Can i use two LT225/75R16 size tires on my 1998 Catera? (P225/55r16 usually...)
        • Scott Pearson
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 26, 2009
            That's probably a truck tire. Would be too tall for your Catera.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 26, 2009
              yes LT means Light Truck, a 225/16 tire with 75 aspect ratio is 3.5 inch (9 cm) taller than 55 aspect ratio. would fit the rim but not the car!

              even if fits (no clearance problems) causes issues any device that uses tire perimeter in calculation including ABS, speedometer, traction control etc.

              Plus never a good idea to have different tire sizes (2 small 2 big) etc unless car designed for it.

              That's probably a truck tire. Would be too tall for your Catera.

              Scott

              > Can i use two LT225/75R16 size tires on my 1998 Catera? (P225/55r16
              > usually...)

            • amylynnk7
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 27, 2009
                thank you!

                --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Ba Ki <ba_ki@...> wrote:

                > yes LT means Light Truck, a 225/16 tire with 75 aspect ratio is 3.5 inch (9 cm) taller than 55 aspect ratio. would fit the rim but not the car!
                >
                > even if fits (no clearance problems) causes issues any device that uses tire perimeter in calculation including ABS, speedometer, traction control etc.
                >
                > Plus never a good idea to have different tire sizes (2 small 2 big) etc unless car designed for it.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • mcarcher10
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 16, 2009
                  Have decided to go the General route. Deciding between Exclaim UHP and Altima HP's. Gord, how are yours treating you? According to Tire Rack, the Altima's just barely edge out the Exclaims in review specs. Altimas are $10 bucks cheaper. I'm wondering about tread wear on the UHP's. Going a plus zero size 245/50R-16. Hopefully they won't rub on turns.
                • gord_gecko
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 17, 2009
                    --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "mcarcher10" <mcarcher10@...> wrote:

                    > Have decided to go the General route. Deciding between Exclaim UHP and Altima HP's. Gord, how are yours treating you? According to Tire Rack, the Altima's just barely edge out the Exclaims in review specs. Altimas are $10 bucks cheaper.

                    > I'm wondering about tread wear on the UHP's.

                    Can't really say. I work from home so I've probably only put 3K on since I put them on.
                    Quiet and handle well.
                    I'd buy them again.