Re: [CateraOwners] Re: KN Air Filter....not much improvement....

  • catera36
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2005
      29 mpg?  I wish.. the best i've got with my 98 has been 27.3 ..  my 91 taurus sho gets 30 to 32 consistantly. it even has more HP and 200k on the engine.   i'm going to try some of these tweeks i've seen in the forum to see if I can squeeze a couple more out of the cat.

      krist_eros <krist_eros@...> wrote:
      Joe
      u do 29 mpg on a 3700 lbs car and u r complaining?
      kris

      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <mrlegore@y...> wrote:
      > well,
      > just took a 300 mile trip in my 2001 catera... installed new kn air
      > filter before i left...made NO improvement in fuel economy.. still
      > averaged 29 miles per gallon on interstate... thought sure that kn
      > filter would at least improve economy by 2 to 5 percent but it did
      > not.. darn... ,joe

      Discover Yahoo!
    • a97cat
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2005
        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, catera36 <blueeyes6636@y...>
        wrote:
        > 29 mpg? I wish.. the best i've got with my 98 has been 27.3 .. my
        91 taurus sho gets 30 to 32 consistantly. it even has more HP and
        200k on the engine. i'm going to try some of these tweeks i've seen
        in the forum to see if I can squeeze a couple more out of the cat.

        > krist_eros <krist_eros@y...> wrote:Joe
        > u do 29 mpg on a 3700 lbs car and u r complaining?
        > kris
        >

        > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <mrlegore@y...> wrote:
        > > well,
        > > just took a 300 mile trip in my 2001 catera... installed new kn
        air
        > > filter before i left...made NO improvement in fuel economy..
        still
        > > averaged 29 miles per gallon on interstate... thought sure that
        kn
        > > filter would at least improve economy by 2 to 5 percent but it
        did
        > > not.. darn... ,joe

        This car while considered mid-sized is quite heavy,this along with
        the rear wheel drive setup is going to equate to a lackluster
        economy vehicle,I suspect that if it had a v-8,it would get better
        mileage,but the sad fact is that this small v-6 installed in such a
        heavy car isnt going to be a economy vehicle,Ive seen many dollars
        spent to improve economy,just to have it wasted.Typically any
        deviation from standard factory equipment will in fact degrade
        performance,and subsequentlty economy......

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------
        > Discover Yahoo!
        > Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news & more. Check it
        out!
      • Chad
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2005
          I just drove a 2004 Deville (275hp northstar) 600 miles averaging 27.7 mpg.
          I wish my Tahoe was that good.

          >> 29 mpg? I wish.. the best i've got with my 98 has been 27.3 .. my
          > 91 taurus sho gets 30 to 32 consistantly. it even has more HP and
          > 200k on the engine. i'm going to try some of these tweeks i've seen
          > in the forum to see if I can squeeze a couple more out of the cat.
          >>
          >> krist_eros <krist_eros@y...> wrote:Joe
          >> u do 29 mpg on a 3700 lbs car and u r complaining?
          >> kris
          >>

          >> --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <mrlegore@y...> wrote:
          >> > well,
          >> > just took a 300 mile trip in my 2001 catera... installed new kn
          > air
          >> > filter before i left...made NO improvement in fuel economy..
          > still
          >> > averaged 29 miles per gallon on interstate... thought sure that
          > kn
          >> > filter would at least improve economy by 2 to 5 percent but it
          > did
          >> > not.. darn... ,joe
          >
          > This car while considered mid-sized is quite heavy,this along with
          > the rear wheel drive setup is going to equate to a lackluster
          > economy vehicle,I suspect that if it had a v-8,it would get better
          > mileage,but the sad fact is that this small v-6 installed in such a
          > heavy car isnt going to be a economy vehicle,Ive seen many dollars
          > spent to improve economy,just to have it wasted.Typically any
          > deviation from standard factory equipment will in fact degrade
          > performance,and subsequentlty economy......

          > Service.
          >>

          >> ---------------------------------
          >> Discover Yahoo!
          >> Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news & more. Check it
          > out!
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Joe
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
            well slitfire plugs improve the fuel economy on the 2001 catera?
            bought a set and will have them installed next week...'
            just trying to improve horse power versus fuel economy?
            is there an after market chip for the computer?
            would also like to purchase a reat spoiler.... where is he best
            place to place an order? question? thanks,joe
            ps..lost one center cadillac emblem for the wheel....
            where do i go for that?

            --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "a97cat" <a97cat@y...> wrote:
            > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, catera36 <blueeyes6636@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > 29 mpg? I wish.. the best i've got with my 98 has been 27.3 ..
            my
            > 91 taurus sho gets 30 to 32 consistantly. it even has more HP and
            > 200k on the engine. i'm going to try some of these tweeks i've
            seen
            > in the forum to see if I can squeeze a couple more out of the cat.
            > >
            > > krist_eros <krist_eros@y...> wrote:Joe
            > > u do 29 mpg on a 3700 lbs car and u r complaining?
            > > kris
            > >

            > > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <mrlegore@y...> wrote:
            > > > well,
            > > > just took a 300 mile trip in my 2001 catera... installed new
            kn
            > air
            > > > filter before i left...made NO improvement in fuel economy..
            > still
            > > > averaged 29 miles per gallon on interstate... thought sure
            that
            > kn
            > > > filter would at least improve economy by 2 to 5 percent but it
            > did
            > > > not.. darn... ,joe
            >
            > This car while considered mid-sized is quite heavy,this along
            with
            > the rear wheel drive setup is going to equate to a lackluster
            > economy vehicle,I suspect that if it had a v-8,it would get better
            > mileage,but the sad fact is that this small v-6 installed in such
            > heavy car isnt going to be a economy vehicle,Ive seen many dollars
            > spent to improve economy,just to have it wasted.Typically any
            > deviation from standard factory equipment will in fact degrade
            > performance,and subsequentlty economy......

            > Service.
            > >

            > > ---------------------------------
            > > Discover Yahoo!
            > > Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news & more. Check
            it
            > out!
          • Alan Sweet
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
              Theres a factory rear spoiler listed on ebay,the splitfires are a waste of money....The original idea behind the splitfire plugs was based on an aviation theory that the more spark surface you have the greater fuel mixture combustion youll have increasing hp,and mileage will increase simply because supposedly youre burning the available fuel/air mixture more completely...and so on and so on...The theory is in fact correct,but what most people dont realize is that while an aircraft secondary electrical system contains two plugs per cylinder,these two plugs have their own electrical source,which will indeed provide much better fuel burn and economy...I guess what Im trying to say is this,Splitfire plugs have I believe 4 negative electrodes,maybe three it matters not,,,the High voltage is only going to travel from the center electrode to the closest ground electrode...you have one spark for that cycle...youd have one spark per cycle on a regiular plug as well

              Discover Yahoo!
            • Chad
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
                Spitfire plugs wont improve fuel economy. The stock plugs in a cat already
                have 3 prongs. any plug will only fire off one electrode at a time.
                > well slitfire plugs improve the fuel economy on the 2001 catera?
                > bought a set and will have them installed next week...'
                > just trying to improve horse power versus fuel economy?
                > is there an after market chip for the computer?
                > would also like to purchase a reat spoiler.... where is he best
                > place to place an order? question? thanks,joe
                > ps..lost one center cadillac emblem for the wheel....
                > where do i go for that?
                >

                > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "a97cat" <a97cat@y...> wrote:
                >> --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, catera36 <blueeyes6636@y...>
                >> wrote:
                >> > 29 mpg? I wish.. the best i've got with my 98 has been 27.3 ..
                > my
                >> 91 taurus sho gets 30 to 32 consistantly. it even has more HP and
                >> 200k on the engine. i'm going to try some of these tweeks i've
                > seen
                >> in the forum to see if I can squeeze a couple more out of the cat.
                >> >
                >> > krist_eros <krist_eros@y...> wrote:Joe
                >> > u do 29 mpg on a 3700 lbs car and u r complaining?
                >> > kris

                > kn
                >> air
                >> still
                > that
                >> kn
                >> did
                >>
                >> This car while considered mid-sized is quite heavy,this along
                > with
                >> the rear wheel drive setup is going to equate to a lackluster
                >> economy vehicle,I suspect that if it had a v-8,it would get better
                >> mileage,but the sad fact is that this small v-6 installed in such
                >> heavy car isnt going to be a economy vehicle,Ive seen many dollars
                >> spent to improve economy,just to have it wasted.Typically any
                >> deviation from standard factory equipment will in fact degrade
                >> performance,and subsequentlty economy......

                >> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                >> Service.
                >> >

                >> > ---------------------------------
                >> > Discover Yahoo!
                >> > Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news & more. Check
                > it
                >> out!
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • KrustyTheClown
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 5, 2005
                  The splitfire plugs are also poor quality, with cut threads instead of
                  cold-rolled ones, this means they will not do the aluminium threads in
                  the head any good. The last ones I saw looked like they had been made
                  by starving children with files in a Somali UNICEF camp.