Re: P0171 DTC

  • Vince
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2005
      Looking up the code its lean on bank one. I have some 60k on the
      car anyway so replacing the front sensors is probably good practice
      anyway. I am concerned that others here have found the reason for
      this code to be the MAF sensor. hope this is not the case.

      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Pierret" <jpierret@k...>
      wrote:
      > I believe that the 0171 is running too lean on Bank One or Bank
      Two. I'm not sure aout which bank though.

      sensors have there own codes. the O2 sensors before the converters
      will fluctuate back and forth. the O2 sensors after the converter
      should stay pretty steady.

      assumptions. First, if the O2 sensor was out, it would most likely
      be pre-convertor because those are under the most "stress" from the
      engine with fumes, heat, carbon build up, etc.

      > Now, when I had that code, it turned out to be the Mass Air
      Flow sensor.

      of Service.
    • tjprog
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2005
        Here's OBD2-DTC codes link:
        http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/
        TJ
      • Chad
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2005
          I think a new mass air flow sensor will fix your problem. Check on some old
          post. I think they will say it mass air flow fixed there problem.

          > Looking up the code its lean on bank one. I have some 60k on the
          > car anyway so replacing the front sensors is probably good practice
          > anyway. I am concerned that others here have found the reason for
          > this code to be the MAF sensor. hope this is not the case.
          >

          > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Pierret" <jpierret@k...>
          > wrote:
          >> I believe that the 0171 is running too lean on Bank One or Bank
          > Two. I'm not sure aout which bank though.

        • Jason Pierret
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2005
            Lean code on bank one was the original code on my 99 and a few weeks later, the ECM was reading that both banks were lean.  I replaced the MAF and it automatically corrected the problem in about five seconds.
            I think a new mass air flow sensor will fix your problem.  Check on some old
            post.  I think they will say it mass air flow fixed there problem.

            > Looking up the code its lean on bank one.  I have some 60k on the
            > car anyway so replacing the front sensors is probably good practice
            > anyway.  I am concerned that others here have found the reason for
            > this code to be the MAF sensor. hope this is not the case.
            >

            > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Pierret" <jpierret@k...>
            > wrote:
            >> I believe that the 0171 is running too lean on Bank One or Bank
            > Two.  I'm not sure aout which bank though.

          • Obrad Malen
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 2, 2005
              Just asking for some advice here...I need to buy a set
              of 17" tires for my 2001 Sport. I like the
              directional tires for water purposes, but is there a
              tire that you (groupwise) have purchased and found
              great value and durability? I found some around
              $90/each installed, but since Cats have a history of
              slight tire wear, i didn't want to dish out too much
              money...

              thanks for your thoughts on this!
            • Shawn King
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 2, 2005
                I just had the General Tire Exclaims put on.  I like them the were $105 from the dealer.  I friend of mine had the ContiExtreme's put on hers and she loves them. She paid $80 a tire and got them off of tirerack.

                Obrad Malen <omalen1966@...> wrote:
                Just asking for some advice here...I need to buy a set
                of 17" tires for my 2001 Sport.  I like the
                directional tires for water purposes, but is there a
                tire that you (groupwise) have purchased and found
                great value and durability?  I found some around
                $90/each installed, but since Cats have a history of
                slight tire wear, i didn't want to dish out too much
                money...

                thanks for your thoughts on this!

                Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

              • Obrad Malen
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Were her ContiExtreme's the 17"? 235/45/17? I just
                  checked TireRack, and it was $118/each. Does she have
                  the W rated tire?
                • jeffhall76@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 2, 2005
                    I just installed a set of W-rated Kuhmo Ecsta ASX tires ($92 each at
                    tirerack.com) to replace a set of W-rated Kuhmo Ecsta 712's on my
                    2000 Catera sport. I've been happy with the Kuhmo's. I had bad
                    control arms that tore up my 712's in about 22,000 miles. The ASX's
                    have a higher treadwear rating and come with a 30,000 mile warranty.
                    They appear to ride quiet and handle well. The ASX's are marketed
                    toward "luxury touring sedans."

                    Jeff

                    --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Obrad Malen <omalen1966@y...>

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 2, 2005
                        Yeah, i need the 17" tires for the Sport model.
                      • catera36

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3, 2005
                            I recently changed all 4 O2 sensors on my 97 cat, easy job and
                            although I don't think it will solve your problem I saw a very
                            significant increase in my fuel economy. From 16 mpg to 20 mpg with
                            mostly city driving. Something to keep in mind.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 3, 2005
                              How much did you pay for all 4 Q2 sensors,
                              and where did you get it from?

                              --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "mikeroot2" <limpbizkit@h...>
                              wrote:

                              > I recently changed all 4 O2 sensors on my 97 cat, easy job and
                              > although I don't think it will solve your problem I saw a very
                              > significant increase in my fuel economy. From 16 mpg to 20 mpg with
                              > mostly city driving. Something to keep in mind.
                            • Mike Root
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 3, 2005
                                Ipaid $360($80 each). I got them on ebay from ecaronline. They are Bosch
                                which is OEM. When I bought them about 2 months ago he was asking $84.99
                                each with free shipping but gave me a discount of $5 each cause I ordered 4
                                at once. I just checked and he is asking $109 each now with $7 shipping for
                                the first one and $2.50 each additional. I suggest you email him at
                                Sales@... and see what kind of deal he'll cut you. Tell him I
                                refered you and what price I was quoted and paid(nothing in it for me but
                                maybe it'll refresh his memory ).Any way you'll need 2- part#15432 and
                                2-part#15433. Good luck email me at limpbizkit@... if you have any
                                more questions.

                                >From: tjprog <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                                >To: CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com