34821RE: [CateraOwners] Radiator Fans stay on after the car is turned off

  • Matt Wilson
    Oct 20 8:43 PM

      I respect all of the wonderful advice given in these threads. But it’s sad that so many problems exist. I have lost my beloved 98 Catera(150K-with tooo mannnyy repairs) due to too many  failures at once, making the repair value higher than the cars’ over-all value(heater core, oil leak, tcm/abs-from oil dripping upon , years of periodic undiagnosed radiator fluid smell even after radiator and h valve  replacement, electrical quirks). Really ,should there be a car with so many repair needs?  I had to junk mine, no one would buy it at a reduced mechanics’ special price. When it ran well, a very special car, but the engineering  was faulty, I always felt that the radical heat spikes  were unhealthy, regardless of the over-engineering to cool it. Maybe because of the unusual close degree angle of the v6? I spent the last couple of years wrestling with the idea of selling it while it still operated well,  there are many points where I wish I had.  I have owned 23 cars so far, this is the most rewarding, but most expensive bath I have taken, How deep is your love, and your wallet? I’m back to a Volvo, boring- but comforting. You got to know when to hold-em, know when to fold-em.   Best Wishes..

      From: CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kal Somogyvary
      Sent: October-19-13 9:20 AM
      To: CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [CateraOwners] Radiator Fans stay on after the car is turned off

      Usually, the relays which control the fans amongst other components, don't
      stay " switched " on !  It may be that your relays which control the radiator fans are
      acting up. ( My interior light relay is doing the same ) However the PTCM
      may be sending the signal to stay on and bypass a time limit. I would do the
      control module diagnostic - first, to ensure this is not the case. Then look
      at the fan relays.

       http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/259782-primary-radiator-fan-failure.html

       Cheers

      On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:44:50 AM, mtnrabbit <mtnrabbit@...> wrote:

      Hi,
      I picked up a Catera a few months ago and have had a few problems.

      My current problem is that the radiator fans stay on while the car is turned off , I have to unplug the fans or it will drain the battery.

      Since the car is 12 years old I hope someone can help me
      Thanks...

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic