New and need advice(long story)

  • magickwolf35
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hello everyone,

      I have what I know is a very unusual sitituation. Whisper is a 10
      month old kitten who has several health issues. She is the only
      kitten that was born, and her mother (a Korat cross) stopped caring
      for her when she was 2 weeks old...I know this is nature's way of
      saying there is something wrong, but this little kitten was a real
      fighter so I hand raised her. We took her to the vet because we knew
      something was wrong, and all we got was that it was "probably" a
      narrowing of the spinal column...they would not do x-rays even though
      we asked them to...so we tried a different vet, same story, and we
      were told to just put her to sleep. All of this was over a period of
      9 weeks...Finally at 11 weeks old we found a vet who, like the others
      thought the same thing, but suggested x-rays to be safe. Turns out
      this baby had a broken back or a deformity in her spine. Our vet
      says she is a miracle...that the way the spine is she shouldn't be
      able to move or feel her legs...well she does, and she can and she is
      even standing now....although her right hind leg is spastic...she is
      in physical therapy now for that....the only problem is that she has
      not much bladder control, I've tried premie diapers, but they hinder
      her movesment too much. She's also learned to climb...she really is
      an amazing little cat...she only weighs 2.10 kilos as of yesterday.
      My question is this, is there a manufacturer of kitty diapers out
      there somewhere? We are currently fighting a bladder/UT infection as
      well. I could really use any advice I can get on anything health
      wise I can get for this baby.....anything except put her to
      sleep...it's not an option in this case...she wants to live and and
      is a very happy baby...

      Thanks,
      FW
    • Julie Porter
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
        Well, bless you for taking such good care of that sweet kitty!

        Here are a few things I found:

        http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/puppytraining.php

        http://www.pet-expo.com/cgi-bin/SEARCH.exe?CTLFIND=100.132

        http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=602&D=diapers&R=1314&Ntt=diapers&Ntk=All&Dx=mode+matchallany&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Np=1&N=0&Nty=1

        At this one, search separately for Diaper Pads, Doggie Wraps, Pads, Diaper Garments and Piddle Pants:

        http://www.carealotpets.com/listItems.asp?displayType=Across&Search=RegSearch&ImgFlg=TRUE

        Julie

[...]

        Pray for Peace.

        Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary Issues and Answers to those Questions.

        To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email to:
        CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com

        To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
        CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com

        Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with varying levels of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any advice given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should consult a veterinarian.

      • LadyFireWolf
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
          Thanks Julie,
          She is a treasure and a joy to have around...I can't imagine not having her
          now....She's just like my own child. There is nothing I wouldn't do for her
          as long as she is not in pain and she is happy, she stays....no doubt about
          it.

          Thanks again,
          FW

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
              The links were so long that I hope you got them OK! Give that kitty a kiss for me!

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                Yes I got them just fine...trying to find out if they ship international or
                not...found some that I think will be perfect for her..

                Thank you so much,
                FW

                ps. she got her kiss...lol

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                  I knew a family with a cat with spinal damage from a road accident
                  and they used preemie diapers & fashioned a pair of braces that
                  attached to his collar and cut a hole for his tail. Last I heard he
                  was doing well after 5 years of living this way and was other wise
                  healthy and happy.
                  Linda

                  --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "LadyFireWolf" <firewolf@x> wrote:
                  > Yes I got them just fine...trying to find out if they ship
                  international or
                  > not...found some that I think will be perfect for her..
                  >
                  > Thank you so much,
                  > FW
                  >
                  > ps. she got her kiss...lol

                  Terms of
                  > Service.

                  > Pray for Peace.
                  >
                  > Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and
                  Veterinary Issues
                  > and
                  > Answers to those Questions.
                  >
                  > To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an
                  email to:
                  > CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  >
                  > To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
                  > CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com
                  >
                  > Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with
                  varying
                  > levels
                  > of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether
                  any
                  > advice
                  > given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you
                  should consult
                  > veterinarian.

                  > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                  Terms of
                  > Service.

                  > Pray for Peace.
                  >
                  > Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary
                  Issues
                  > and Answers to those Questions.
                  >
                  > To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an
                  email to:
                  > CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  >
                  > To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
                  > CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com
                  >
                  > Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with
                  varying
                  > levels of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess
                  whether any
                  > advice given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you
                  should
                  > consult a veterinarian.

                  of
                  > Service.

                  > Pray for Peace.
                  >
                  > Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary
                  Issues and
                  > Answers to those Questions.
                  >
                  > To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email
                  to:
                  > CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  >
                  > To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
                  > CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com
                  >
                  > Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with
                  varying levels
                  > of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any
                  advice
                  > given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should
                  consult a
                  > veterinarian.

                  Service.

                • LadyFireWolf
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                    Yes I tried those already,....she is just too small for them and they hinder
                    her movements....fit wise they are perfect just too thick...she is tryng to
                    learn to walk and she does not wear a collar as she could get stuck
                    somewhere and choke. With her being so small and active she can get into
                    some pretty tight places and I just don't want to take the chance. If she
                    gets a little bit bigger then they will probably work...but as of Wednesday
                    evening at the vet she only weighs 2.10 kilograms. Thank you for the
                    thought though, I really do appreciate it.

                    FW

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                      Did a quick google search & this is what I came up with, don't know
                      if it's of any use.
                      http://goodpet.com/library/pharmacyFiles/hotpants.asp
                      http://www.joybies.com/

                      Linda

                      --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "LadyFireWolf" <firewolf@x> wrote:
                      > Yes I tried those already,....she is just too small for them and
                      they hinder
                      > her movements....fit wise they are perfect just too thick...she is
                      tryng to
                      > learn to walk and she does not wear a collar as she could get stuck
                      > somewhere and choke. With her being so small and active she can
                      get into
                      > some pretty tight places and I just don't want to take the chance.
                      If she
                      > gets a little bit bigger then they will probably work...but as of
                      Wednesday
                      > evening at the vet she only weighs 2.10 kilograms. Thank you for
                      the
                      > thought though, I really do appreciate it.
                      >
                      > FW

                      Terms
                      > of
                      > > Service.

                      > > Pray for Peace.
                      > >
                      > > Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and
                      Veterinary
                      > Issues and
                      > > Answers to those Questions.
                      > >
                      > > To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an
                      email
                      > to:
                      > > CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      > >
                      > > To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
                      > > CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com
                      > >
                      > > Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with
                      > varying levels
                      > > of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether
                      any
                      > advice
                      > > given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should
                      > consult a
                      > > veterinarian.

                      Terms of
                      > Service.

                      > Pray for Peace.
                      >
                      > Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary
                      Issues and
                      > Answers to those Questions.
                      >
                      > To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email
                      to:
                      > CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      >
                      > To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
                      > CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com
                      >
                      > Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with
                      varying levels
                      > of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any
                      advice
                      > given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should
                      consult a
                      > veterinarian.

                      Service.

                    • Julie Porter
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 3, 2004
                        If they won't ship international, let us know and we can help.

                        Julie

[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • cleolove2000
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2004
                          Hi FW

                          I just joined the group yesterday and read your story. I hope your
                          kitty is doing well. She is certainly a very special cat. And you
                          are a very special person for not giving up on her.

                          I don't know if you were able to find anything on the market in terms
                          of diapers, but I thought may be you may want to be creative and use
                          sanitary napkings with wings that could be attached to a little belt
                          that you can make out of wide elastic or velcro. You may even
                          purchase little doll or baby underwear or shorts and cut a hole for
                          her tail (or if you are crafty make them yourself from a wate
                          resistant material). Not only will she be dry, but also
                          fashionable :)

                          Just a thought. I hope this helps. Give her a big kiss for me.

                          Cleolove