cat hair loss

  • shelleyrenn25@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 10, 2001
      Hello,
      My 3 yr old male cat has over a period of two months been losing large
      amounts of hair and weight. He has lost almost all hair on his hind
      legs (on the insides), up the back of his tail, and above his tail on
      his back. I took him to the vet and she did not seem concerned, as
      she felt it was just fleas. She advised that we use the advantage
      drops and it should take care of the problem. Unfortunatly, that was
      approx. a month ago and their is no hair regrowth and he actually
      seems to be losing more. He is usually pleasantly plump at and he
      has lost quite a bit of weight. Any ideas or suggestions?
      thanks
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 10, 2001
        Hi,

        Sorry, I can't help,

        This group was started due to the success of my RabbitVet group which now
        has 300 members.

        Unfortunately there are only 9 members so far to answer your questions.

      • diana@wetware.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2001
          }My 3 yr old male cat has over a period of two months been losing large
          }amounts of hair and weight. He has lost almost all hair on his hind
          }legs (on the insides), up the back of his tail, and above his tail on
          }his back. I took him to the vet and she did not seem concerned, as
          }she felt it was just fleas. She advised that we use the advantage
          }drops and it should take care of the problem. Unfortunatly, that was
          }approx. a month ago and their is no hair regrowth and he actually
          }seems to be losing more. He is usually pleasantly plump at and he
          }has lost quite a bit of weight. Any ideas or suggestions?

          I would take him back to the vet and get a blood
          and urine workup.

          If your vet still seems unconcerned, find another vet.
          Even if it is nothing more than seasonal allergies, it
          is worth it to have it checked out - and if your vet is
          not willing to work with you, then you need to find
          one who will...

          Diana
        • Diana Gregory
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11, 2001
            Mike - I wasn't sure who started this, and if it was for other members
            to give suggestions (I tend to lurk first and try to figure out what
            is going on).

            If you would like more people, do you mind if I post something on the
            Feline-L mailing list? There may be people there who would be interested
            in exchanging tips...

            Do you have a 'blurb' I can use?

            Thanks!

            Diana
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 11, 2001
              Hi Diana,

              I'm happy for you and any other member to give advice.

              I'm also happy for you to promote the group as you see fit.

              Here is the html code if you need it:
              <b>Subscribe to CatVet</b>
              <input type=text name="user" value="enter email address" size=20>
              <input type=image border=0 alt="Click here to join CatVet"
              name="Click here to join CatVet"
              src="http://groups.yahoo.com/img/ui/join.gif">
              </form>

              Mike
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CatVet

              > Mike - I wasn't sure who started this, and if it was for other members
              > to give suggestions (I tend to lurk first and try to figure out what
              > is going on).
              >
              > If you would like more people, do you mind if I post something on the
              > Feline-L mailing list? There may be people there who would be interested
              > in exchanging tips...
              >
              > Do you have a 'blurb' I can use?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Diana

            • Brandi Clegg
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12, 2001
                --- shelleyrenn25@... wrote:
                > Hello,
                > My 3 yr old male cat has over a period of two months
                > been losing large
                > amounts of hair and weight. He has lost almost all
                > hair on his hind
                > legs (on the insides), up the back of his tail, and
                > above his tail on
                > his back. I took him to the vet and she did not
                > seem concerned, as
                > she felt it was just fleas. She advised that we use
                > the advantage
                > drops and it should take care of the problem.
                > Unfortunatly, that was
                > approx. a month ago and their is no hair regrowth
                > and he actually
                > seems to be losing more. He is usually pleasantly
                > plump at and he
                > has lost quite a bit of weight. Any ideas or
                > suggestions?
                > thanks

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                >
                > Shelly,

                Can't say I know what it is but try taking him to
                another vet and get several opions or take it to the
                human society and they have people their that could
                probably tell you something.
                Brandi

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Pat Hoskins
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 16, 2001
                  Hi,

                  Does he have a good appetite and is losing weight?
                  With the weight loss and hair loss I would suspect
                  hyper-t. I would definately get a T-4 and Free T-4
                  to rule in or out hyper-T. Also it wouldn't hurt
                  to get a chem and cbc. Does he vomit? If it is
                  hyper-T there is a great list with many knowing
                  people here at yahoo groups.

                  Pat

                • cbiancats@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7, 2001
                    I don't know if you are still out there Shelley, but your problem
                    sounds alot like my Bagheera. (Msg #45 homeopathic allergy
                    treatment?) It has taken me 3 years to see the pattern. It sounds
                    like good old allergies. Oak is our culprit here. Every spring.
                    Even though he is male and had been neutered 6 or 7 years prior, we
                    started treating him with hormones that delay estrus. They seemed to
                    work but not for long. Check out the replies I received to my
                    posting. I am going to test them out starting tomorrow.