RE: Re: [CatVet] Re: Any cat behaviorists here ?

  • irisfromoh
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2013

      GOOD ANSWER, dg!!! I have a pride of five, with only two litter mates. The middle kitty, who was VERY young when she moved in, used to pee on MY bed and mine only. I bought incontinence pads for when I made my bed. When she peed, I exhibited blatantly angry behavior (didn't hurt nor yell, but sternly said, "No, no, no!" It stopped and the little copy cat began to use the Alpha cat's litter box too. We have six boxes strategically placed around the house. Remember, it may not  be apparent, but they DO desire to please their guardians. Use it to your advantage =)

      Iris Marie

      --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, <catvet@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On 9/5/2013 4:20 PM, Donald wrote:
      > Females mark territory also at times, especially if they feel
      > threatened. That's why some pee in the house when there are more than
      > one female in the house. We've had that latter issue at one time.

      Definitely both males and females use urine for territorial
      marking. Probably happens more with the wild cats - but if
      the cats are related, it seems not to be as big an issue. I
      had one that would pee on the bed after I brought home the
      mother of the two boys I'd brought home 18 months earlier.

      I think it was not a reaction to a new female as much as *her*.
      She was a small cat, and the two boys thought she was fun to
      play with. Since she was already a dignified 4 years old, she
      disagreed - but didn't act out until she identified Gaia as
      the "cause" of the Horrid Grey Things.

      I suspect that a cat that is I/O is going to be more conscious
      of territory than indoor-only cats. I do know that with the
      colony the 3 mentioned above came from, there were about 5
      males (all but one fixed), who hung around together - but there
      was only one female in the colony at a time.

      dg