Re: Atopica

  • ritarock_2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2013
      I've been using it since the beginning of the year for one of my cats.
      Lara has shown no adverse reactions.

      Emily D.

    • meow4you2004
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2013
        I used the pills for a cat with eosinophilic granuloma and it worked to improve her skin.

        PersianCatHCMResearch@...

        604-939-1231
        Deborah Hudson
        Himalayans all colors CPC Lynx Chocolate Lilac
        Dream Himi Cattery Port Moody BC Canada
        http://www.dreamhimicattery.com/
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2013
          We use it where I work all the time. Most common side effects to watch for are vomiting and diarrhea. Other uncommon side effects are increased hair growth, and gingival hyperplasia, which is overgrowth of the gums. If the gingival hyperplasia occurs, most of the time if you reduce the dose, or trim back the gums they are just fine. You can also use azithromycin toothpaste and it helps. Bloodwork should still be checked twice a year to check kidney and liver function, but they are usually not affected. The doses used for allergies, are not as high, as say those used for kidney transplant cats. Atopic a is similar to steroids in that it is an immuno-suppressive drug, but it acts on the part of the immune system more specifically than steroids, so there are less side effects.
          Rachael

          Never overlook a senior dog, he may become your very best friend.
          Sent from my iPad

          On Jul 13, 2013, at 5:49 AM, "corinne8738" <corinne@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone used the drug ATOPICA with any of your cats? Have there been any adverse reactions you have heard of whilst using it? I should be very grateful for any information you can give me regarding this drug in use in cats please, thank you.
          >
          > Corinne
          > www.demelzapersians.co.uk

        • sound_of_seas
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 15, 2013
            My Turkish Angora angel cat Raja had eosinophilic granuloma. He even received prednisone for it. It turned out that he was reacting to the Iams dry food. Once he was switched off of it, things cleared up on their own. I fed dry food before I knew any better. I would suggest you look into a grain/veggie/gluten/starch free canned cat food.
            Sue and Xena.