Re: [CatVet] New - Xena leaking urine. All tests show nothing. DESPERATE - pls help us.

  • CatWoman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2013
      (you answered some of my questions in your second message but I
      only have time to approve it, will read it later. Meanwhile,
      wanted to post what I'd written originally anyway).

      I would actually try prednisolone first - anti-inflammatory and will
      suppress any immune responses that may be involved.

      I'd also try Convenia, since you've tried the other antibiotics - there
      can be an infection that is not present in the urine.

      What kind of litter do you use? If you are using clumping she might be
      reacting to that - either the feel of it or having an alergic reaction
      (given that that area is affected). Also - if you're using one of the
      natural litters, she is getting grain (Swheat Scoop = wheat) or corn;
      or pine.

      You may want to switch to puppy pads or something for a while and see
      if that helps; or even old-fashioned clay litter (on top of a puppy pad
      so she can still scratch).

      Change the litter box - get a new one - there may be bacteria in the
      plastic. Maybe switch to an aluminum baking pan, or at least use one
      to line the box.

      Or try a Breeze box - it uses ceramic pellets and the urine goes through
      to a pad in a drawer below.

      Do have a fecal sample tested - there may be some bacteria or parasite
      that is causing problems.

      Get her to drink more water - and get distilled water so any mineral
      intolerance can be ruled out.

      Did the x-rays/ultrasound cover enough area to see if there is a tumor?
      And did the blood work look for something viral or something like a
      "real" leukemia, lymphoma, etc.?

      Try getting organic boneless, skinless chicken breast/thigh meat and
      cook lightly - baby food chicken is recommended as the 'bland diet' for
      cats, but all the ones I've seen these days have corn starch or some
      other thickener, so making your own - either bake lightly, microwave
      lightly, or stew gently in the distilled water - you know what is in
      the food. A few days of lower taurine won't hurt her, and you might
      find out if it's a food allergy (after the chicken, try turkey, then
      rabbit - Evangers makes a line of foods that has little to no non-meat
      ingredients. At one time I'd have suggested Evo but since they were
      sold to the Evil Empire, I don't even trust their 95% foods).

      dg