IBD

  • lisasimivalley
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2013
      Any ideas on a good dry food for a cat with IBD,I have tryed RX one's and grain free diets,with no luck.Currently feeding Natural Balance Green & Duck dry,with Primal Raw Rabbit one check in the AM & PM.
      Getting better but still not a firm stool.

      Thank you
    • meow4you2004
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2013
        Try new Nature's Variety Prairie Instinct limited ingredient kibble.

        There is duck, turkey and salmon. They use tapioca as a binder.

        My cats like the duck.

        They have others too like Rabbit.

        http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/cat/kibble/all

        Try feeding either home made cooked meats or canned and see if that helps. I use Thomas Labs Acidophilus and Duralactin liquid in wet food.
        and I use
        dhudson450@...
        604-939-1231
        Deborah Hudson
        Himalayans all colors CPC Lynx Chocolate Lilac
        Dream Himi Cattery Port Moody BC Canada
        http://www.dreamhimicattery.com/
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2013
          WHOA!!! When I first read this post, it gave me a jolt, because my initials are IBD. I thought, why would anyone want to separate their fur baby from me? But, since there shouldn't be any levity in the health care for our best friends, can you tell me what it is? I am assuming that it is something in the digestive tract.

          As a sidebar, not specifically related, but a good thing to keep in mind, once you find the food that is the solution, stick to it and when you KNOW you are doing the right thing for your animal; do not be persuaded by ads or others, to do anything different.

          I have five kids with four legs. Twenty years ago, when I had one love of my life, he developed a urinary tract issue, crystals in his urethra. My vet at the time suggested that I feed him Iams, because they let you know what is in it and she found it to be complete, with nothing in it she found objectionable. He lived on it for the 17 years of his life.

          He passed 10 years ago, and since that time (I still love and miss him everyday. ALL of my cats jockey for what was HIS favorite spot on my bed, so I swear his loving spirit still exists and directs them to constantly remind me that I am loved) it has taken five cats to fill the space of love he left in my heart.

          I had been feeding them all Iams. I received criticism from some on this list (not shaking the bony finger of indignation at anyone, but stating a fact), some "animal rights" friends of mine and instead of sticking with what worked in the past, I experimented, breaking them into a more expensive food heavily advertised as being "the best". Well, my only male, Beebop, developed that crystalline blockage and we almost lost him. After draining the bladder and a two week diet of a prescription wet food, he has bounced back to health. He still eats a half a can of a maintenance form of that food daily. But along with that, he joins the rest of the pride eating IAMS INDOOR HEALTH FORMULA. He and all of my kids are THRIVING. To quote their current vet, "Remember, Iris, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

          My cousin is a microbiologist who is a retired VP for Proctor & Gamble who asked me, "...why didn't you trust me when I tried to tell you of our compliance with all federal regulations and our rigid quality standards?" I had no answer, except that he used to tease me unmercifully when we were children.

          My point is to avoid politics when it comes to caring for a beloved pet/member of the family. In your heart, once you have found the solution, follow your heart.

          + May God bless us with wisdom, discernment and knowledge +

          Iris Bayless Dunson =)

          --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "lisasimivalley" <lisasimivalley@...> wrote:

          > Any ideas on a good dry food for a cat with IBD,I have tryed RX one's and grain free diets,with no luck.Currently feeding Natural Balance Green & Duck dry,with Primal Raw Rabbit one check in the AM & PM.
          > Getting better but still not a firm stool.
          >
          > Thank you

        • CatWoman
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2013
            On 5/2/2013 3:20 PM, lisasimivalley wrote:
            > Any ideas on a good dry food for a cat with IBD,I have tryed RX one's and grain free diets,with no luck.Currently feeding Natural Balance Green & Duck dry,with Primal Raw Rabbit one check in the AM & PM.
            > Getting better but still not a firm stool.

            What worked for Akela was getting him off all dry food.

            It was due to him that I switched to Wellness Chicken
            and Wellness Turkey canned food. I used that in the
            morning and Natural Balance canned at night.

            I also was using Natural Balance dry - pre melamine - but
            had to give it up before the recall because another cat
            could not deal with it. I kept the dry on hand for
            occasional fast feeding and for one cat who couldn't
            handle any canned.

            I do use more dry now - different family - but I may
            wind up having to back off of it because someone is
            throwing up food (which I am *hoping* is due to food,
            and not lymphoma).

            dg