Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [CatVet] Re: Cat behavior / There's Always a Reason

Expand Messages
  • Linda Ray
    ... From: Jan Subject: [CatVet] Re: Cat behavior / There s Always a Reason To: CatVet@yahoogroups.com Date: Thursday, April 25,
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 25, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Sure. Here is your post:
      --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <lady_cerridwyn@...> wrote:
      >
      >
      > We adopted her when she was 6 weeks old, and has never been abused.  She's gotten the water gun a few times, but that's it.  She just bonded to me, and for some reason doesn't like males.  There's some females she hisses at when they try to pet her, but not many.  My son only has one male friend she likes, and he is very soft spoken and laid back.  She's never been thrilled with the kid, she tolerates him, that's about it.  And she has a repore with my husband because he's the protector.  Whenever she feels bad or is scared she goes to Dad.
      >
      > My son has ADHD and I think that he scares her a bit, but she never acted like this until he was gone 4 months.  She missed him, she would go in his room and lay on his bed.  Before he left she would never go in his room.  But telling that boy not to pet her is like pulling teeth.  He loves her and desperately wants a connection.  He's never had a problem with any other animal, it hurts his feelings more than anything.
      >
      > She has a feline practitioner, so I think I'll take her in a bit early for her check up, bring my son with me and get some advice.
      >
      > Jan


      --- On Thu, 4/25/13, Jan <lady_cerridwyn@...> wrote:


      From: Jan <lady_cerridwyn@...>
      Subject: [CatVet] Re: Cat behavior / There's Always a Reason
      To: CatVet@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, April 25, 2013, 2:18 PM


      Actually you are wrong.  My first post stated that he moved to Iowa for for months and returned home.  I also stated that he's an adult.  Otherwise you wouldn't have implied that he does not live at home.  I didn't say I had a several week old kitten, I stated that we have an older cat that we have had since she was six weeks old.  re-read the posts please.

      Jan

      --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, Linda Ray <LINDARAY@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hi Jan,
      >  
      > You got those responses from listmembers (Who are all trying to HELP you) because your first post on this thread implied that you had a several-week-old kitten who was hissing at a son whom I, for one, thought was maybe somewhere between 6 and 10 years old or so from your initial post.
      >  
      > Therefore, please re-read your own previous posts from the beginning of this thread with that in mind and see what I and others have been given, from you, as data to go on. You posted asking for help. We responded based upon the information given by you, and upon the information implied in your post/s. WE cannot know the rest of the situation.
      >  
      > If you have had this kitty for 16 years and the son is 29, and if they have all been living with you all these years, that obviously is a completely different scenario which none of us could possibly know unless we also knew you personally, and you did not state that, which would have made a huge difference to us all, in your first post.
      >  
      > If you know the son is trustworthy with this kitty AND if you know that without a doubt, then the kitty may be developing arthritis or something that makes it a bit painful for her to be handled or petted, or else she can't see or becomes disoriented when she is picked up or some other thing.
      > I am also assuming that no one is trying to pick up a 16yo kitty by the scruff of the neck.
      >  
      > But please do not whack at listmembers who tried to help you out with less than the whole story to go on.
      >  
      > I for one am glad. Thank you for finally telling us the *rest* of the story. Now I can quit worrying about about a baby kitty who is possibly caught in a very bad situation.
      >  
      > Linda
      > Behave as if the God in all life matters.
      > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      >  
      > --- On Wed, 4/24/13, Jan <lady_cerridwyn@...> wrote:
      >
      >
      > From: Jan <lady_cerridwyn@...>
      > Subject: [CatVet] Re: Cat behavior / There's Always a Reason
      > To: CatVet@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 2:48 PM
      >
      >
      > O.K.  lets first get one thing straight, my son is 29 and does not grab for things or treat the cat rough.  When I mean he wants to pet her, her always waits until she is in the room with me, on the bed, and lightly pets her.  When she hisses at him it's while he's walking by sometime, and he just ignores and proceeds to where he was going.  ADHD does not always mean that someone is dangerous!  I believe that you are confusing ADHD with someone who is autistic.   I'm ADHD and I have never been like that, I'm forgetful but that's it.  And before you try to tell me I may not be watching the kid all the time....I've been an advocate for the disabled since my son was in Special Ed pre-school, in 1985.  I know disabilities, I trained at TASK  (Team of Advocates for Special Kids).  Please get yourself educated.
      >
      > Secondly, we have had Sheba since she six weeks old, in 1995, she's 17.  Not only would it be cruel, but wrong to give her away to all all female household.  End of story!
      >
      > I think that some of you ay be taking this way out of proportion!  I realize you are only trying to be helpful, but you are wrong.
      >
      > I'm going to try the Feliway since Sheba has been a bit sensitive since she has gotten older.  And I'll see what the vet has to say.  He is a Feline Practitioner who was at one time President of the organization.  He's a rather laid back guy.
      >
      > Now please, unless you have something positive to say, don't say it!
      >
      > Jan
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, CatWoman <diana@> wrote:
      > >
      > > My only thought is one you may not like.
      > >
      > > Are you with your son *every*, and I mean *every* time he is
      > > with her?
      > >
      > > As I understand it, ADHD contains "hyperactive" and some
      > > component of/like OCD.
      > >
      > > It's possible that in his eagerness to pet her, he is not
      > > treating her like a cat - most cats do *not* want to be grabbed,
      > > some prefer not even to be touched except on their terms.
      > >
      > > If he is unable to be in her presence without trying to pet
      > > her, then you are building up to a potentially dangerous
      > > situation - where he may kill her by grabbing her too hard -
      > > and she may fight back and injure him - badly.
      > >
      > > If you cannot get him to stop trying to pet him, I seriously
      > > recommend either getting him a toy cat that he can pet while
      > > he sits with your cat - or finding her another home - or
      > > both.
      > >
      > > Hissing is a warning.  Biting is next.  She could injure him
      > > badly, and if he didn't kill her himself, she would probably
      > > have to be killed and tested for rabies - both of which would
      > > be extremely unfair to her at the least, since she is giving
      > > warnings all over.
      > >
      > > I don't usually even think of considering turning an adult into
      > > a shelter - they're likely to be killed - but this situation
      > > makes me think she is likely going to be killed soon anyway.
      > >
      > > dg
      > >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Pray for Peace.
      >
      > Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary Issues and Answers to those Questions.
      >
      > To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email to:
      > CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
      > CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with varying levels of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any advice given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should consult a veterinarian.Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >




      ------------------------------------

      Pray for Peace.

      Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary Issues and Answers to those Questions.

      To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email to:
      CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com

      To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
      CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com

      Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with varying levels of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any advice given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should consult a veterinarian.Yahoo! Groups Links





      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.