DOXYCYCLINE -on no!

  • Cat
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
      Hi,
      I guess they manufacturer of doxy is not making it anymore! I even searched Australia~
      Does anyone know if there is another comparable pill? I can't use capsules or liquid unless they taste like tuna or chicken. :)

      Don't know what i'm going to do without doxy...:(

      Dawn
    • Kristen Vance
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
        I am a vet and still able to get it. Your vet should be able to

        Dr Kristen Vance
        Homeward Bound Mobile Vet
        443 617 9836

        On Jan 5, 2013, at 12:50 PM, "Cat" <catsunn@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I guess they manufacturer of doxy is not making it anymore! I even searched Australia~
        > Does anyone know if there is another comparable pill? I can't use capsules or liquid unless they taste like tuna or chicken. :)
        >
        > Don't know what i'm going to do without doxy...:(
        >
        > Dawn
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Pray for Peace.
        >
        > Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary Issues and Answers to those Questions.
        >
        > To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email to:
        > CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
        > CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with varying levels of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any advice given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should consult a veterinarian.Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Linda Ray
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
          Hi Dawn,

          I odn't know about the Doxy, but in case this may help and if you don't/can't find it-

          Have you tried / do you know about "pill pockets" (chicken flavored, etc.)? They have worked very well in the past for my kitties..

          Namaste,

          Linda

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
            Wedgewood pharmacy will compound the liquid into any flavor. I just called a script in for someone yesterday and they still have it.
            Rachael

            Never overlook a senior dog, he just might become your very best friend.
            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jan 5, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Linda Ray <LINDARAY@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dawn,
            >
            > I odn't know about the Doxy, but in case this may help and if you don't/can't find it-
            >
            > Have you tried / do you know about "pill pockets" (chicken flavored, etc.)? They have worked very well in the past for my kitties..
            >
            > Namaste,
            >
            > Linda

          • Hilda Wagner
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
              No worries. Doxy is made worldwide. Here is where I get it:
              http://www.countrysidepet.com/brands/Thomas-Labs.html
              Scroll down for "Bird Biotic"

              HIlda
              Hilda Wagner
              jhw@...
              http://www.hildawagner.com

              On Jan 5, 2013, at 9:50 AM, "Cat" <catsunn@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I guess they manufacturer of doxy is not making it anymore! I even searched Australia~
              > Does anyone know if there is another comparable pill? I can't use capsules or liquid unless they taste like tuna or chicken. :)
              >
              > Don't know what i'm going to do without doxy...:(
              >
              > Dawn

            • Cat
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2013
                Hi...yes, I know about pill pockets. But, Doxy, if found only comes in big capsules or liquid now. Not the small pill. But, they are phasing it out completely from what I've heard.
                Besides, i feed about 40-50 ferals. THey are the ones who get the doxy when needed. So, pill pockets won't work for many reasons...but thank you.
                I just pray someone comes up with an alternative....a pill to cover a range of infections for kitties. A cheap pill I might add. lOL

                Dawn

                --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, Linda Ray wrote:

                > Hi Dawn,
                >
                > I odn't know about the Doxy, but in case this may help and if you don't/can't find it-
                >
                > Have you tried / do you know about "pill pockets" (chicken flavored, etc.)? They have worked very well in the past for my kitties..
                >
                > Namaste,
                >
                > Linda

              • Rachael
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 6, 2013
                  They aren't phasing it out. It is just on manufacturer back order. This happens with a lot of medications. The powder they use to make the medication is on back order. Sometimes this happens if the FDA has gone in to inspect a plant. The plant will be shut down until the inspection done.
                  Rachael

                  Never overlook a senior dog, he may become your very best friend.
                  Sent from my iPad

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 6, 2013

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 6, 2013
                      Rachael..thank you so much! I hope you are right....

                      DAwn

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2013
                        I do not know where you are getting your information. They are not phasing it out. I can still get the pills and I even asked human side... No phasing out going on. It was on back order but that happens with any drug

                        Dr Kristen Vance
                        Homeward Bound Mobile Vet
                        443 617 9836

                        On Jan 6, 2013, at 3:51 PM, "Cat" <catsunn@...> wrote:

                        > Hi...yes, I know about pill pockets. But, Doxy, if found only comes in big capsules or liquid now. Not the small pill. But, they are phasing it out completely from what I've heard.
                        > Besides, i feed about 40-50 ferals. THey are the ones who get the doxy when needed. So, pill pockets won't work for many reasons...but thank you.
                        > I just pray someone comes up with an alternative....a pill to cover a range of infections for kitties. A cheap pill I might add. lOL
                        >
                        > Dawn
                        >
                        > --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, Linda Ray wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Hi Dawn,
                        >>
                        >> I odn't know about the Doxy, but in case this may help and if you don't/can't find it-
                        >>
                        >> Have you tried / do you know about "pill pockets" (chicken flavored, etc.)? They have worked very well in the past for my kitties..
                        >>
                        >> Namaste,
                        >>
                        >> Linda

                      • CatWoman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2013
                          On 1/5/2013 9:50 AM, Cat wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          > I guess they manufacturer of doxy is not making it anymore! I even searched Australia~
                          > Does anyone know if there is another comparable pill? I can't use capsules or liquid unless they taste like tuna or chicken. :)
                          >
                          > Don't know what i'm going to do without doxy...:(

                          1800petmeds still seems to be listing it.

                          Googling shows it is related to tetracycline, and one called
                          "oxytetracycline".

                          Check with your vet.

                          What do you use it for?

                          dg
                        • Rachael
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 6, 2013
                            We can't order it any where. The pharmacies in PA don't have it either because of the back order. I also work in a vet clinic. One of our distributors just told us they don't know when it is coming off.