Re: Licking plastic bags

  • bthinsoon
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In CatVet@y..., "rev21_1" <rev21_1@y...> wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > I just found this group and this is my first post.
      > <snip>
      > It doesn't seem to hurt him, but I think it's kind of wierd. I'm
      > wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

      Hi John! None of my cats do this, but I wish I had a dollar for every
      weird thing they did! Would certainly help with the cat food fund!
      I'm guessing that Cinder is attracted to some kind of substance on
      the bag, maybe a thin layer of some sort of oil that keeps the bags
      from sticking together. I would think that since these kinds of bags
      are generally used for food items that the oil (if its there) would
      be a food grade. I really have no clue,(do we really know why they do
      any of the weird things they do???) so these are just my thoughts.

      Welcome to the group. I've learned a ton from everyone here.

      Jenny, Jazz, Max and miss Sarah
    • Jessica Howery
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
        hi, yes I have encountered this. My friend Tina has 2
        cats from the same litter, They are about a year old,
        one is domestic shorthair, and the other one is Main
        Coon. They lick plastic bags all the time. She
        doesn't kow why either, I'm over there alll the time
        and I see it and she can't explain it. When they were
        little they would climb into plastic bags and play in
        the and paw at the corners like they are chasing them.
        Maybe its a security thing? Who knows :S So don't
        think your cat is the only one, cause I'm pretty sure
        if 3 do it, then there are hundreds more :D
        --- rev21_1 <rev21_1@...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I just found this group and this is my first post.
        >
        > My cat, Cinders is a probably 3-4 year old short
        > hair, and he licks
        > plastic bags. Most usually they are the type that
        > you get from
        > grocery stores, or Wal-Mart. We use them as
        > wastebasket liners,
        > etc. It seems like he has always done it over the
        > last two years
        > that we have had him, since we rescued him from the
        > shelter. It
        > doesn't seem to hurt him, but I think it's kind of
        > wierd. I'm
        > wondering if anyone else has encountered this.
        >
        > Thanks very much!
        >
        > John
        > rev21_1@...

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • bthinsoon
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
          --- In CatVet@y..., Jessica Howery <ckchick68@y...> wrote:
          When they were
          > little they would climb into plastic bags and play in
          > the and paw at the corners like they are chasing them.

          Yikes! I hope she no longer allows this. A very dangerous game if
          they find one when she is not home. They love the sound, but my cats
          know plastic bags are off limits. Paper bags and shopping bags with
          the handles snipped are a much safer alternative.

          Jenny, Jazz, max and miss Sarah
        • Jitters1us
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
            Hello! I have two cats and one just loves licking
            plastic bags. The other likes to get his head in one
            of the handles then runs around like he was superman
            or something. It is really funny but if I am not
            around I tie the handles into a tight knot. They both
            like this, they try to stomp all the air out of it. I
            still don`t get the licking thing, but I am glad to
            hear he is not the only oddball!!
            Have a good day
            Stacy, Jitters and Exodus :)

            --- Jessica Howery <ckchick68@...> wrote:
            > hi, yes I have encountered this. My friend Tina has
            > 2
            > cats from the same litter, They are about a year
            > old,
            > one is domestic shorthair, and the other one is Main
            > Coon. They lick plastic bags all the time. She
            > doesn't kow why either, I'm over there alll the time
            > and I see it and she can't explain it. When they
            > were
            > little they would climb into plastic bags and play
            > in
            > the and paw at the corners like they are chasing
            > them.
            > Maybe its a security thing? Who knows :S So don't
            > think your cat is the only one, cause I'm pretty
            > sure
            > if 3 do it, then there are hundreds more :D
            > --- rev21_1 <rev21_1@...> wrote:
            > > Hello all,
            > >
            > > I just found this group and this is my first post.
            > >
            > > My cat, Cinders is a probably 3-4 year old short
            > > hair, and he licks
            > > plastic bags. Most usually they are the type that
            > > you get from
            > > grocery stores, or Wal-Mart. We use them as
            > > wastebasket liners,
            > > etc. It seems like he has always done it over the
            > > last two years
            > > that we have had him, since we rescued him from
            > the
            > > shelter. It
            > > doesn't seem to hurt him, but I think it's kind of
            > > wierd. I'm
            > > wondering if anyone else has encountered this.
            > >
            > > Thanks very much!
            > >
            > > John
            > > rev21_1@...

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Marush
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
              Yes, it's true. I have six well-fed cats and the two
              eldest love to lick plastic bags. Why?

              --- Jessica Howery <ckchick68@...> wrote:
              > hi, yes I have encountered this. My friend Tina has
              > 2
              > cats from the same litter, They are about a year
              > old,
              > one is domestic shorthair, and the other one is Main
              > Coon. They lick plastic bags all the time. She
              > doesn't kow why either, I'm over there alll the time
              > and I see it and she can't explain it. When they
              > were
              > little they would climb into plastic bags and play
              > in
              > the and paw at the corners like they are chasing
              > them.
              > Maybe its a security thing? Who knows :S So don't
              > think your cat is the only one, cause I'm pretty
              > sure
              > if 3 do it, then there are hundreds more :D
              > --- rev21_1 <rev21_1@...> wrote:
              > > Hello all,
              > >
              > > I just found this group and this is my first post.
              > >
              > > My cat, Cinders is a probably 3-4 year old short
              > > hair, and he licks
              > > plastic bags. Most usually they are the type that
              > > you get from
              > > grocery stores, or Wal-Mart. We use them as
              > > wastebasket liners,
              > > etc. It seems like he has always done it over the
              > > last two years
              > > that we have had him, since we rescued him from
              > the
              > > shelter. It
              > > doesn't seem to hurt him, but I think it's kind of
              > > wierd. I'm
              > > wondering if anyone else has encountered this.
              > >
              > > Thanks very much!
              > >
              > > John
              > > rev21_1@...

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • John
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
                Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:02:07 -0700

                Hi, I have a cat that likes to lick plastic and even eat it if she gets
                the plastic. I have also wondered for years why she does this? I have five
                wonderful cats but only one of them likes plastic.

                John

                Introducing NetZero Long Distance