Re: [CatVet] Flea control/Ants, 20 Mule Team Borax, etc.

  • Beverly
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2012
      OMG! I thought the "bald spots" were a reaction to the fleas... Reaction to the Frontline the Vet gave us.   Thanks for the info... Vet will hear about this!
                   Bevy

      ________________________________
      From: Rachael <labhoundlover@...>
      Subject: Re: [CatVet] Flea control
      To: "CatVet@yahoogroups.com" <CatVet@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 9:10 PM

      Yes the flea control your vet gave you probably was Frontline. However as far as fleas go in cats if you read studies on flea control and how long it lasts, and what works best in cats Revolution is what you should use. Ideally you should also use something orally like capstar too twice a week to really help break the flea life cycle. Depending on where you live, it is probably going to be getting warm so you are probably going to have fleas hatching for at least 3 months if you don't continue to use topicals as you have flea eggs in your carpet now. Also a premise spray or exterminator would help also. These are the reasons it is much easier to keep animals on flea control than deal with an infestation. You can even bring fleas into your pet. Good luck. Also, if you do get something over the counter, do not use hartz or sargentz, as many cats have died from those products. However you can get frontline over the counter now as well as other products that
      contain the same ingredient as Frontline, Fipronil. The difference between Frontline and the other products is the medium that allows the product to spread. There has not been a lot of research done by the companies if it spreads as effectively as the Frontline. Also never use advantix on cats it is also toxic. Okay, that is my flea spill. Good luck.
      Rachael

      Never overlook a senior dog, he may become your very best friend.
      Sent from my iPad

      On Feb 28, 2012, at 1:20 PM, "scampsangel" <pwkollasch@...> wrote:

      > Brought a new kitten into the house not long ago & she has fleas. We kept her separate & tried combing her rather than putting chemicals on her but she is older now and we have not been able to get them completly gone with just combing. What is the best way to get rid of them on her - she's now about 6 months old. I also want to treat the others since I have found a few that have migrated to my older ones. I want a good, safe & effective treatment that is relatively cost-effective, too. Several years ago when our group of 8 - 10 cats got fleas the vet gave us larger vials (I think they were the dog size ones & then we dosed using syringes based on each cats weight). Any idea what brand this can be done with and the best/cheapest place to get it?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >

      > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
      > Extreme ways to lower your cell phone bill
      > Apps can help you use fewer minutes, or try an upstart's unlimited plan for $19 a month.
      > Privacy Policy

      ------------------------------------

      Pray for Peace.

      Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary Issues and Answers to those Questions.

      To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email to:
      CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com

      To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
      CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com

      Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with varying levels of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any advice given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should consult a veterinarian.Yahoo! Groups Links

    • scampsangel
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2012
        Thanks!

        I brought fleas home, too, after showing a house that was vacant. It was a short-sale & the owners had already moved out & someone broke in & cut out the copper pipes so the basement got wet & it was a hot, humid summer in NJ & the owner had a dog that he used to keep in the finished basement a lot. I think the moisture & heat - along with noone being there to vacuum, etc - caused every flea egg to hatch. I ended up putting a note on the basement door -"Enter at your own risk - fleas!" - and a can of flea spray by the door in case anyone wanted to use it.

        --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, Rachael Shaw <labhoundlover@...> wrote:

        > Yes , the capstar is only good for 24 hours.
        > Rachael
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Feb 29, 2012, at 9:59 AM, "scampsangel" <pwkollasch@...> wrote:
        >
        > > If I use the oral agent Capstar do I still need to use the topical stuff - Advantage or Revolution?
        > >
        > > Thanks for all of the responses!
        > >
        > > --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, Laura Kornak <LKornak32@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Capstar will kill the fleas on a cat within the next 24 hrs. after applied. I agree I'd use it twice a week if you can pill the cat. I've had to bring my cat into the vet as I can't pill her. I've used flea bombs as well in the past & they work. I also find Revolution best to use on cats but have a hard time finding it in my area. Frontline barely works I've found.
        > > >
        > > > I've given cat flea baths & comb one of my particular cats that is prone to fleas regularly. If you use a flea comb put the fleas in soapy water so they can't jump.Â
        > > >
        > > > Good luck!
        > > >

        > > > ________________________________

      • Kenneth Winter
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2012
          What do you mean by keep the lid on the sugar bowl?
                  Cat Love In DE

          From: Rachael <labhoundlover@...>

          To: "CatVet@yahoogroups.com" <CatVet@yahoogroups.com>

          Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 9:10 PM

          ------------------------------------

          Pray for Peace.

          Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary Issues and Answers to those Questions.

          To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email to:

          CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com

          To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:

          CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com

          Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with varying levels of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any advice given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should consult a veterinarian.Yahoo! Groups Links

        • LexxBirdLady
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 5, 2012
            yah i i've read and seen pics of i think its called topspot, that petsmart uses....will BURN YOUR PET TO DEATH, there are many suits filed against this company yet they still let them sell this mess!!

            i've never had an issue w/Revolution on my 3 cats; and the two that stay inside all the time, i gave them a dose back in sept or october, then i stopped taking them outside due to the weather, and last weekend is the first time since then that i applied Revolution. my vet also told me that revolution does really last beyone four weeks, i said six weeks then? he said, well...maybe six but probably no longer than that. so i have let my two inside cats go as long as six weeks inbetween applications, since they only go outside w/me on the weekends for a few hours at a time. - my simba actually prefers to be inside and starts heading for the back door when he's hot/tired/sick of being outside... wants his comfy bed and food, lol. and a cool floor. he has thick long hair so he gets hot easily. i have to watch out for him when we're outside.
            the third cat is an in/out cat so he typically gets his revolution about every 5 weeks and i've not had a flea problem on him in oever 3-4 yrs when i took him in.  he had no undercoat, no belly hair and itched all the time, and scabs on his tummy.  after i applied revolution, within about 3months 'all' of his hair had grown back, his undercoat on his back, his tummy hair - now looks and feels like sheep hair, unreal....he had an allergy SO bad.

            and i think there is some powder stuff you can buy at lowe's/home depot to treat your yard for flea/ticks. i hear of dog pple using it but i've never used it. i think all the flea's stay on the squirrels, lol. :-(  oh well....

            Sharon

            ________________________________

            ------------------------------------

            Pray for Peace.

            Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary Issues and Answers to those Questions.

            To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email to:

            CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com

            To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:

            CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com

            Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with varying levels of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any advice given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should consult a veterinarian.Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Linda Ray
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5, 2012
              Hi Kenneth :-),

              It was a joke.

              If you keep the lid on the sugar bowl, the ants you're employing to eat the flea eggs won't also get into your sugar.

              Namaste,

              Linda

              From: Rachael <labhoundlover@...>

              To: "CatVet@yahoogroups.com" <CatVet@yahoogroups.com>

              Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 9:10 PM

              ------------------------------------

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5, 2012
                Oh ok cause for a minute there I was thinking it may have something to do with the fact every year in the summer months I tend to get these like fruit flies or knats in my kitchen and they tend to like my dish washing detergent as they cling to the bottle. I am an avid tea drinker but during those months I don't leave my sugar or lemons around as I keep them in refrig. I just thought that may have had something to do it.

                From: Kenneth Winter <krazyken1220@...>

                To: CatVet@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 1:27 AM

                From: Linda Ray <LINDARAY@...>