Re: newborn kittens

  • carlton2772
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2011
      Just curious, as I'm sure many others are...are you planning on getting "Lady Be Good" spayed, so this doesn't happen again? I hope you've had a change of heart about the shelter, unless the one you go to is No Kill...the whole story is actually kind of sad! Sorry, just my opinion...

      --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "Bevy63" <briggs36427@...> wrote:

      > The barn cat (we call her 'Lady Be Good') had 7 kittens! She apparently dropped them while walking. They were scattered at both ends and middle of 'L' shaped overgrown garden, and one under the hollow cement step. We had to knock a hole to get that one out!
      > Mother cat is rejecting her babies. We seen this before, and immediately put them in a box and we are dropper feeding them with evaporated milk. (emergency care)
      > Might be PPD as previous litter was NOT fully weaned, but now come and eat dry food.
      > Should we return babies to mother (outside) or take to shelter?
      > Taking to shelter monday morning.
      > Comments on barn cats/kittens?

    • Beverly
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 2, 2011
        LadyBeGood is accepting her responsiblities as a mother as of yesterday.  We were gone about 4hrs yesterday, and it appears litter was attacked or the mostly white baby hemoraged from her bottom.  boo hoo waaah!  6 surviving siblings with full tummies.
        Going to shelter, mom and babies.  We already have 9 cats from 1,2, & 7yrs old and can barely afford them, but love them.
                                          Bevy

        Just curious, as I'm sure many others are...are you planning on getting "Lady Be Good" spayed, so this doesn't happen again? I hope you've had a change of heart about the shelter, unless the one you go to is No Kill...the whole story is actually kind of sad! Sorry, just my opinion...

        --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "Bevy63" <briggs36427@...> wrote:

        > The barn cat (we call her 'Lady Be Good') had 7 kittens! She apparently dropped them while walking. They were scattered at both ends and middle of 'L' shaped overgrown garden, and one under the hollow cement step. We had to knock a hole to get that one out!
        > Mother cat is rejecting her babies. We seen this before, and immediately put them in a box and we are dropper feeding them with evaporated milk. (emergency care)
        > Might be PPD as previous litter was NOT fully weaned, but now come and eat dry food.
        > Should we return babies to mother (outside) or take to shelter?
        > Taking to shelter monday morning.
        > Comments on barn cats/kittens?

      • michellefero
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2011
          Please spay your pregnant cat. I am project manager for a local rescue and we have too many cats that are euthanized for one reason not enough homes. All cats over age 4 monthes are spayed before we even consider adopting them out. My Lina was one of 110 cats. I was their to resue a 3rd little of kittens. When I walked in the door. There were dead kitens on the sofa and one dying in a box next to the kittens I was rescueing. I was told not to take the Onyx Oriental just the Siamese kittens. I couldn't leave her their to die. Out of 4 kitens the Onxy Oriental Fergie was the only one to survie. They have severe flea anemia, giardia and coccidia. I am not sure how many litters of kittens this lady had summer 2008 but Lina was one of the few to survive. We were helping this lady get her cats spayed she could only afford to spay/neuter 5 cats a month at 10.00. We stopped when she stopped taking the cats to spay clinic. In my business their is never a reason to let a pregnant cat have kitens. My own bottle baby turned 12 yesterday. Only two kittens of her litter made it. Most kittens will not make it as bottles. It consists of daily 2 hour feeding and it breaks your heart when they die on you. Even healthy kittens will just die on your and it tears you up. Plese be part of the solution not the prproblem.

          --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "azrapandora" <nbgw@...> wrote:

          > I will need some help. I have a pregant cat that has Chlamydia and I
          > have to take the kittens away from her the second they are born so
          > they do not contract the chlamydia by her saliva. Anyone that knows
          > anything about raising kittens, opening the sacks after birth,
          > heating the kittens, etc.. would be great appreciated. Also any
          > websites that you know of would help a great deal too. Thanks,
          > Genny

        • michellefero
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 17, 2011
            Their are very few no kill shelters out their compared to munciple kill shelters. I have yet to meet a shelter that is not brimming with cats. For the most part any shelter that takes a mother cat with kittens will pretty much just euthanized the kittens on the spot. Most have little funding and no volunteers to foster more unwanted infant kittens. Also mom cats in captivity do not do very well. They feel constantly threated of other cats wants to harm their kitten. Where I live the shelter euthanizes about 77% of the cats out that are brought in. They also make sure any cats that are adopted are spayed/neutered. This is the case in both Tulsa and Owasso. However other local shelter do nothing like the Broken Arrow shelter. They could institute a spay/neuter program but they choose not too. I have worked very hard the past 2 years to help get cats adopted and educate the American public on the importance of spaying all cats feral/strays/beloved pets. All is takes is few people have kittens and killed all the progress we made.

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 18, 2011
              Mother and kittens are at the (no-kill) Humane Society.  She adopted us; but we can't keep too many cats.