Cat cries when having bowel movement.

  • Trout
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
      MJ is getting thinner. My neighbour took MJ to the vet and he said that there was nothing wrong! Nothing wrong? He is having watery diarrhoea and we cannot even pet his back. We are worried. All tests were negative. What can it be? Marie, Toronto
    • pkat4202
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
        --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "Trout" <marushkatyl@...> wrote:

        > MJ is getting thinner. My neighbour took MJ to the vet and he said that there was nothing wrong! Nothing wrong? He is having watery diarrhoea and we cannot even pet his back. We are worried. All tests were negative. What can it be? Marie, Toronto

        Poor MJ this is really worrisome!! If the vet isnt too concerned it sounds like he really may be constipated. But, wait you said he has watery diarrhea. Is MJ young? If young it could just be the food is causing an upset stomach. switch the food and see if that helps. If your feeding him just dry i usually wet the food with maybe a little olive oil or the oil from a can of tuna. My mom has a very old cat who is getting very thin. Now she cooks chicken breasts and chops a chunk off and dices it for her kitty and then refrigerates the rest. chops a chunk off again at dinner and warms it a little in the microwave. This works for her cat. Another thing i do is sprinkle a little brewers yeast in the cats wet food and mix it into the food. Brewers yeast gives dogs as well as cats energy. Aloe Vera gel mixed in my cats wet food is supposed to aid in digestion. It has also helped with hair balls that cats produce. Ive owned cats since i was a teenager, and im 52 now. So i consider myself a live and learn type of cat owner. I always ask a vet what he thinks first. The aloe vera gel needs to be refrigerated and i use less than a 1/2 teaspoon twice a day and it works wonders. If you lived in texas id share my stash. Aloe Vera Gel isnt cheap probably around $9.00 a bottle. Look around because sometimes there are sales. Good luck and hope everything works out for MJ....paula
      • K Cheney
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
          As you indicated, clearly there is something wrong with MJ! Poor little
          guy! :( I'm not sure what your circumstances are since you indicated that
          your neighbor took him, but if at all possible, you should take him to the
          vet yourself to discuss possibilities, tests, etc. It sounds to me like you
          need to find a more concerned vet. Was an x-ray or ultrasound done?
          Perhaps there is a blockage of some sort that is preventing MJ from having a
          normal bowel movement. I would not waste time in getting him into a
          well-known/reputable vet. I don't know Toronto or where you are in
          relation, but a search on Yelp produced results for several vets in your
          area who received favorable reviews from other pet owners. I urge you to
          continue in your search to find out the cause of MJ's suffering. His
          symptoms are not normal.

          Please keep us informed on what happens with him.

          Best of luck to MJ and to you!
          Kim

        • Jet
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
            Hello Marie,

            Please take MJ to a different vet. Watery bowel movements could mean MJ gets dehydrated. Combined with weight loss, something is going on. A second opinion is what you and MJ need and deserve, sooner the better. Keep us posted.

            Blessings to you,

            Julie in Portland, Oregon

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
              Hello again,

              Forgot to ask...What tests did MJ get? Please don't waste any time having him be seen by someone else, at least for a physical exam, armed with your list of symptoms shown.

              Best to you,

              Julie

            • adawson1971@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
                I have 2 cats with chronic constipation. A constipated cat can have diarrhea. There could still be a blockage of some sort.

                You can try pumpkin (not pie mix, plain pumpkin), baby food peas, green beans or winter squash (all with no other additives), and/or slippery elm (again, no other additives). But all of these will take time to work. If MJ is crying, he needs to see a vet, or another vet. Last time I had to take my cat to the vet for constipation, they took x-rays and we could see the "backup". They had to give him an enema.

                Annette