Re: [CatVet] neutered cat peeing everywhere!

  • June batz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2011
      Have you taken him to the vet to rule out a medical reason?
      I swear on the cat attract litter. It has been a miracle litter for cats with inappropriate litter box habits. Try confinement and this litter after you have ruled out a medical reason.
      June

      Please help me help our Beautiful cats. All proceeds go to the rescues listed below. Please click on the F1 Diaries link below and it will take you through the process for pre-ordering your book The F-1 Diaries.

      www.f1diaries.com

      Support Bengal Rescue Network (501c3). Send $$ to donate@...

      Great Lakes Bengal Rescue, a 501c3 non-profit, paypal is donation@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2011
        Kim,

        I have a young male cat, about 1 1/2 years old, who was peeing on my carpets for
        months. He would also pee on my bed, the bath mats, clothes on the bathroom
        floor etc. I was also at my wits end. I tried Feliway plug in, that didn't work.
        I tried that special litter you get at Petsmart, Cat Attract, that didn't work.
        I tried cleaning the carpets, but there were so many places to clean, I couldn't
        get it all. I found a litter at Big Lots (not sold there anymore) called
        Betterway. It has an ingredient called Sanil, a natural cat attractant. I also
        cleaned the carpet where he was doing most of the soiling with a homemade
        formula of vinegar, baking soda, water and dish soap. I used Natures Miracle for
        the underneath floor pad and baseboard. (It was pretty bad). He hasn't urinated
        outside of the litter box since. It has been at least 4 or 5 months. If you do
        decide to try this litter, you can get it on Amazon.com. I use the one that is
        flushable, but I still don't flush it down the toilet. It just seems like it
        would clog the toilet. Anyway, good luck to you. I hope you are able to find a
        resolution for your problem.

        Carol

        PS - many people say that this problem can be caused by a urinary tract
        infection, and they say the first thing to do is to take your cat to the vet. I
        never took my cat to the doctor to check, but my instincts told me it wasn't the
        case. However, every case is different, and you may want to rule out UTI. I also
        heard a story of a cat who was peeing on the bed etc., because the cat owners
        boyfriend was abusive to his girlfriend. I've also read that there may be a cat
        outside that your cat feels threatened by (even if your cat never goes outside).
        There is one more thing I just thought of. There is a website called Spirit
        Essences. It sells herbal tinctures for pets. They do have something for this
        problem, but I haven't tried it. I was going to if the litter didn't work. You
        may want to check into it.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2011
          Hi,
          I am going to assume you had him checked for a urinary infection. What you describe is the #1 behavior of a cat with an infection.
          If it's not an infection...
          The cat is acting this way from either a change in your house, (new person, animal, closing of the door, blocked to the litter box?, new brand of litter, dirty litter(needs to be scooped at least daily) or placement of litter box?

          I had a cat that was doing the same thing at 12 yrs of age and was this close to having him put down. I couldn't go through with it. I had to have new walls put in, floors torn up...the whole 9 yards.

          SO, what I did was buy a big 5 foot tall cage. My fault was moving the litter box. The cats get confused if you move them around your house. You need to establish a permanent place for it because they will always smell where it was before you moved it and thus begins the games of ..oh well, i guess i can pee anywhere.

          So, i put this cat in the cage for at least 5 months....with the cage RIGHT NEXT TO WHERE THE LITTER BOX WILL BE PLACE PERMANENTLY.
          I then gradually let him roam when I was home.
          It worked.
          He always used the permanent litter box after that.

          Dawn

          --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "kmbwell39" <kmbwell39@...> wrote:

          > My 12 year old male cat is having some major behavior problems. He will pee in my bathroom on the wall or clothing. He even peed on a wall receptical plugin and shorted it out. nothing is safe! the counters, the washer and dryer even. I also have other cats and one likes to mark territory as well...also neutered. Is there any help for this besides throwing him out in the cold? at my wits end...~Kim

        • LexxBirdLady
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2011
            yah i was thinking bladder infection too.  sometimes as cats age they tend to get problems. Also, feeding fish based products, or even fish once a week, can trigger a bladder infection because fish has  a lot of magnesium in it and magnesium upsets the bladder and causes an infection, pretty terrible.  do look into that.

            Sharon

            icanhascheezburger.com

          • labhoundlover@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2011
              If you have had him checked for a urinary tract infection, and everything is fine, it sounds like he and the other cat in the house need some behavior modification. You may need to start with separating the cats into individual rooms, with separate litter boxes and basically retraining. They need to stay isolated until they are consistently using the box again. When they are doing this, they can only be left out supervised, for short periods of time. Eventually when they are using the litter box again correctly you can leave them out all the time. Also make sure you have enough boxes for cats, and they are being cleaned enough. You can also use feliway diffusers at the same time as all of this. I believe there is someone on the list who does some behavior work. Your vet may be able to help you with these protocols too. Also sometimes medications are needed. This is a tough problem to deal with, especially in a multicat household, but it can be helped. It could also be that you have strays outside that are bothering your cats, and that is why they are marking all of a sudden. Something subtle can cause them to stress. Good luck.
              Rachael

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2011
[...]

              • M
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Might be a good idea to take him to the vet...my experience with kitties peeing also in strange places, like the toaster, means they have a bladder infection..uti...
                  Get him checked out!!!
                  Martha

                  --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "kmbwell39" <kmbwell39@...> wrote:

                  > My 12 year old male cat is having some major behavior problems. He will pee in my bathroom on the wall or clothing. He even peed on a wall receptical plugin and shorted it out. nothing is safe! the counters, the washer and dryer even. I also have other cats and one likes to mark territory as well...also neutered. Is there any help for this besides throwing him out in the cold? at my wits end...~Kim

                • kmbwell39
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
                    thanks,I might take him in but there are two of them and if one pees then the other pees. So I doubt its an infection..more like get the heck outta my territory. Tried putting the 12 year old in the cage...he cried so much and made a mess in there with his litter..when I took him out he was so stressed his ears were hot and you could see the pink color through his dark grey fur. He is fine today just sleeping like usual. Guess the best thing to do is put the younger one outside at night, he sleeps under the house when he decides to stay out anyway.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
                      try the FeliWay plugin

                      http://www.jefferspet.com/comfort-zone-feline-behavior-modification-plug-in/p/0027612/

                      it'll help w/the issues your boys are having.

                      Sharon