Re: [CatVet] cat urinating all over the carpet

  • Shari Parker
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2010
      tracy, have you taken the cat to the vet to rule out an urinary tract infection
      or something else?  has anything changed in her surroundings lately (new
      roommates, friends coming over, pets, kids, movement of furniture) or something
      that MAY have changed but you might not be aware of it?

      please do not make this an outdoor kitty.  even if you don't have a lot of
      traffic, there are those dangers that can find your cat no matter what.  also,
      remember, there is no vaccination that works 100% on anything...even the human
      ones....so aside from evil people/teens/kids, predators, dogs, cats, etc. there
      will always be an amount of risk of letting a cat outside.

      please take this cat to a vet first.  then you may wish to contact a GOOD
      behaviorist...good luck and thanks for caring for your feline!

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2010
        female cats can hide an urinary tract infection for a period of time...

        FYI....male cats can die within hours (very painfully) if they get an urinary
        tract infection...they can get a blockage which can kill a male very quickly.
        one of my cats, butch, had one, and i rushed him to the e.r.  he would have been
        dead in an hour, the vet said (i had just flown back home and discovered him on
        the floor...my pet sitter didn't notice anything wrong with him...said he was
        fine and he was eating just a few hours earlier).  after a few days and a few
        thousand dollars, butch came home and was fine.

        whenever a cat urinates/poops inappropriately, have the cat checked out to rule
        out any medical issues....

        good luck!

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2010
          Hi, I can very much relate to what you are going through. I have two cats, and
          one of them, my male Yoshi was peeing on my carpet for months. Yes, I know
          shouldn't have let it go that far. It was quite a challenge, and I was trying
          different cleaners etc, nothing seemed to work. My intuition said it wasn't a
          bladder infection, but caused by me letting the litter boxes get too dirty at
          one point. He's very finnicky in more ways than one. I cleaned the carpet with a
          home remedy (baking soda, vinegar etc.) and underneath (carpet pad and floor
          boards) with Nature's miracle, lot's. Then I switched to a cat litter called
          Betterway that has a natural cat attractant in it. I don't know if this was a
          coincidence or not, but I haven't had a problem since.

          good luck,
          carol

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
            Thank you.  I will try it.  -))