re: newlyadopted dog chasing cats

  • Shelly Starr
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2010
      I have only had her 10 days and one of my cats is starting to swat at the dog, but this same cat also is running & I think she is doing it to hear me yell at the dog.
      I did know it is typical for terriers to chase cats. I had one before with cats. Our cats she left alone or tried to treat them like her puppies one cat even tried nursing. If I brought a new cat home I had to show it to her & say this is our kitty & she was okay with it.
      The new dog was around a kitten, before I got her. My niece said she played with the kitten & never hurt it.
      Tonight one of my other cats stood up to her and hissed and swatted and she ignored him even when he moved away quickly. I told her good girl no bark no chase & rewarded her.
      I will try the lead thing that sounds like a good idea that will work and the rubbing the scent on a towel & rubbing the dog/cats with it. I have been on top of this problem & doing what I knew or thought would work. But I thought someone else might have another idea I had not tried yet.
      I always say the dumbest question is the one not asked.
      She is only 2 & 1/2 yrs old also so I feel is young enough to easily train. From what I understand a couple of teenagers have owned her. And since I have no shot records I have to get her Vaccinated & since she isn't spayed I am getting this done also.
      I don't plan on getting another dog one is enough for me to handle I have an impingement in both shoulders so a second dog would be a bad idea.
      I use to do 4-H obedience training & as soon as I get her updated on shots & spayed I plan on walking her and start obedience training.

      Thanks so much for the advice.

      A newly adopted dog & cat grandma (cats think I'm their grandma and that's another story)

    • the windlass
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2010
        "this same cat also is running & I think she is doing it to hear me yell at the dog."

        Sounds like a good reason to stop the yelling!  Plus, that should be good for your blood pressure, too!       : )

        Actually, it sounds like your cats are going to be able to handle themselves perfectly well with the dog; I don't see any reason to restrict the dog's movements, just do get her fixed and vaccinated, and out there exercising regularly, and it sounds like they'll all be one big happy family in no time.

        Best wishes,

        B.D. Stillion (behaviorist)