Re: [CatVet] Senior cat

  • Michele Avery
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 31, 2009
      I never treat my cats without a vets consultation. Just trying to see what others have used for their cats. I will contact my vet sometime next week. Thank you for responding and have a great new year.
      Michele

      ________________________________
      From: Michele <ilovecats3655@ yahoo.com>
      Subject: [CatVet] Senior cat
      To: CatVet@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, December 31, 2009, 2:22 PM

      I have a 14 year old cat named Amadeus. I know he must have some pain due to his age and the way he moves. I was wondering if there is anything that I can give him to relieve the pain. My Vet. mentioned that cats are not as easy as dogs are to treat for pain. Is there anything out there I can do for him?
      Michele
      Florida

    • donna scroggs
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2010
        http://www.preciouspets.org/newsletters/articles/inflammatory-bowel-disease.htm
        Good advice on what to do for pets with IBD.
        Donna ACS

        From: Michele <ilovecats3655@ yahoo.com>

        To: CatVet@yahoogroups. com

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2010
          Provide your cat with a grain free and a low carbohydrate diet.Include fish oil and Vitamin E supplementation in his diet.Maintain a good exercise routine for your cat.Be extra vigilant when it comes to your pet's weight.Provide him a comfortable sleeping area.Administer mild anti-inflammatory drugs when necessary.Provide supplementation of glucosamine/ chondroiton. Herbal medication (with prior consultation of a veterinarian)Glucosamine and Chondroitin.
          orticosteroids
          Vitamin C
          NSAIDs (Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs)

          Donna ACS

          I have a 14 year old cat named Amadeus. I know he must have some pain due to his age and the way he moves. I was wondering if there is anything that I can give him to relieve the pain. My Vet. mentioned that cats are not as easy as dogs are to treat for pain. Is there anything out there I can do for him?

          Michele

          Florida

        • barbaggarwal
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2010
            You could try glucosamine/chondroitin (cosequin for cats). Adequan, and injectable glucosamine, has given me great results in both cats and dogs, and it's easy - after giving it twice a week for 4 weeks, it's only once a month, so if you are willing to give shots yourself and your vet will give and rx to buy a whole vial (ie from discountpetdrugs.com) it's quite cost effectve. For immediate pain relief, tramadol or buprenex can be used, metacam works well, also but must be given with caution as it can harm kidneys. Amantadine and neurontin can also be used for chronic pain control.
            Pain management guidelines can be found here:
            http://www.catvets.com/professionals/guidelines/publications/index.aspx?ID=174
            Also, acupuncture and alternative meds can help if you have a holistic vet near you:
            http://www.holisticvetlist.com/
            Barb

            --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "Michele" <ilovecats3655@...> wrote:

            > I have a 14 year old cat named Amadeus. I know he must have some pain due to his age and the way he moves. I was wondering if there is anything that I can give him to relieve the pain. My Vet. mentioned that cats are not as easy as dogs are to treat for pain. Is there anything out there I can do for him?
            > Michele
            > Florida

          • carols
            Message 5 of 20 , May 5 3:19 PM
              Hi, I have not posted in awhile. You all helped me when my cat had a cyst on her back. Now, Candy is 14. She weighs 12 pounds, down from15, and seems good. How much wet and or dry should I feed her? I fed her 1/3 cup of dry 2 times a day and she was not eating, so I went to wet, 1/2 can of friskies 2 times a day with 4 or 5 pieces of dry. She loves the wet. Is it too little? Thanks in advance for all your help, Carol
            • meow4you2004
              Message 6 of 20 , May 5 4:10 PM
                Feed more wet. Feed one whole can in morning and one whole can at night. Wet food is better than dry. Have you done a blood panel?
                dhudson450@...
                604-939-1231
                Deborah Hudson
                Himalayans all colors CPC Lynx Chocolate Lilac
                Dream Himi Cattery Port Moody BC Canada
                http://www.dreamhimicattery.com/
                Message 7 of 20 , May 5 4:28 PM
                  Hi Carol-
                  I'd feed her all the wet food she will eat and leave the dry down all the
                  time too. Some people will disagree with me about that but since she is
                  losing weight? I think she needs to gain the weight back before worrying
                  what and when she eats. If she likes the canned food that is great :) Give
                  her one can twice a day and see if she eats it. Give her more if she wants
                  more too. I've dealt with cancer cats and ill cats and when they ate I was
                  happy and it seems they were better too.
                  Patti

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 5 4:36 PM
                    No blood work. When she was 15 pounds, the. Vet said she was overweight. She put her nose up to the Royal Canine, so that is why I went to the Friskies senior. She eats the Friskies senior wet, no problem

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 5 4:48 PM
                      Thank you, Deborah and Patti for your speedy responses. She is acting good, no problems at all. I thought she might of been tired of the dry food I was feeding her
                      . She ate dry, with wet as a treat. She likes the Friskies better than the Royal Canin now. Carol

                      --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "carols" <scottsdalekidd@...> wrote:

                      > No blood work. When she was 15 pounds, the. Vet said she was overweight. She put her nose up to the Royal Canine, so that is why I went to the Friskies senior. She eats the Friskies senior wet, no problem
                      >

                      > --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, <dhudson450@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Feed more wet. Feed one whole can in morning and one whole can at night. Wet food is better than dry. Have you done a blood panel?
                      > > dhudson450@
                      > > 604-939-1231
                      > > Deborah Hudson
                      > > Himalayans all colors CPC Lynx Chocolate Lilac
                      > > Dream Himi Cattery Port Moody BC Canada
                      > > http://www.dreamhimicattery.com/

                      • CatWoman
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 5 7:55 PM
                          On 5/5/2013 3:19 PM, carols wrote:
                          > She loves the wet. Is it too little? Thanks in advance for all your help, Carol

                          At her age, if she wants more - give her more.

                          The time to be concerned is if she's eating a *lot*, but
                          still losing weight - could be thyroid.

                          Has she had recent blood work just to get a baseline of
                          how she's doing? Basic info would be for thyroid, kidneys,
                          liver and glucose.

                          If she's drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot, especially
                          if it seems to not have much of an odor - it may be a sign
                          of diabetes or kidney issues.

                          There's nothing wrong with feeding canned only - it's probably
                          even better for her!

                          However - along with the blood work I'd also have her teeth
                          and gums checked just to be sure she's not just eating wet
                          because her mouth hurts.

                          Otherwise - it sounds like you're doing a good job - I hope
                          to hear from you regularly for many more years!

                          Diana
                        • carols
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 6 6:07 AM
                            Thank you. I would say the weight loss was, maybe over a 6 month period. Her coat is good and no vomiting. Her teeth are good. Carol

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 6 6:18 AM
                              Hi, she never really ate that much at all. Not a big eater. I do not think she is drinking a lot, just the usual amount. My husband would feed her a lot of table food, against my better judgement. I think that could be why she gained weight. Last week he gave her a small piece of steak and she ate it. I told him that if she begs at the table, which she does, give her a treat. The vet said that her teeth were good, just a little tarter. No blood work. Maybe he is conservative. I gave her a 1/2 can last night and will give 1 can in the AM and 1 in the PM. She has Greenies for treats. Are Temptations better? Thank you, Diana. I will watch the urine, Carol

                              --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, CatWoman <diana@...> wrote:

                              > On 5/5/2013 3:19 PM, carols wrote:
                              > > She loves the wet. Is it too little? Thanks in advance for all your help, Carol
                              >
                              > At her age, if she wants more - give her more.
                              >
                              > The time to be concerned is if she's eating a *lot*, but
                              > still losing weight - could be thyroid.
                              >
                              > Has she had recent blood work just to get a baseline of
                              > how she's doing? Basic info would be for thyroid, kidneys,
                              > liver and glucose.
                              >
                              > If she's drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot, especially
                              > if it seems to not have much of an odor - it may be a sign
                              > of diabetes or kidney issues.
                              >
                              > There's nothing wrong with feeding canned only - it's probably
                              > even better for her!
                              >
                              > However - along with the blood work I'd also have her teeth
                              > and gums checked just to be sure she's not just eating wet
                              > because her mouth hurts.
                              >
                              > Otherwise - it sounds like you're doing a good job - I hope
                              > to hear from you regularly for many more years!
                              >
                              > Diana

                            • CatWoman
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 6 8:15 AM
                                On 5/6/2013 6:18 AM, carols wrote:
                                > No blood work. Maybe he is conservative. I gave her a 1/2 can last night and will give 1 can in the AM and 1 in the PM. She has Greenies for treats. Are Temptations better? Thank you, Diana. I will watch the urine, Carol

                                If you can afford it, I would get the blood work done.

                                If she was losing weight on purpose, unless she is still
                                overweight (I have now and have had a couple of cats that
                                8 lbs is a good weight for them - they were (or would be)
                                overweight at 10 lbs), then I would let her eat all the
                                canned she wants.

                                I would not leave it out - feed her twice a day as much
                                as she will finish in half an hour or so. (mostly because
                                canned food can go bad, especially as it gets hotter out).

                                Sounds like you're doing okay for her!

                                As for treats - I think the Greenies are a better choice
                                than Temptations. Save the Temptations for when you really
                                can't get her to eat anything else.

                                dg
                              • carols
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 6 3:14 PM
                                  Thank you so much. I am watching her intake of food and litter box. I am in New Hampshire, so it is not hot here yet, as we hava a very short and not too warm summers. I see that the food does not get hard. Still think I should take it away? I have been leaving 1/3 cup of dry out, which she will eat a little. She is used to grazing. Thanks again for all your help, Carol