Re: [CatVet] Cat that had a uretha blockage a year ago

  • CatWoman
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
      michelle fero wrote:
      > Well the girls' have been catching mice lately however they won't eat them. 4 yummy mice in all and they all went to waste :).
      >
      > All the kitties eat dry Wellness or Halo Spot's Stew. I still would of adopted my little guy but I am scarried he going to get a blockage of some sort. I work late hours sometimes I might not notice. I never had to deal with a cat with a tendancy to block.

      I suspect you'll see it before it gets to be a problem
      now - you learn to recognize the symptoms. I got to
      where I could tell which cat without even thinking
      about it - basically if a cat was in the box often
      enough for me to notice, they got carted off to the
      vet.

      If you have to change food, see if you can put more
      water in the canned food. I have a lot more scooping,
      and go through a lot more litter, but haven't had a
      UTI problem for several years now (knock wood - because
      I wrote that I'll have one this week, for sure...).

      Vibes for a new job to appear very quickly. File for
      unemployment. And check the local stores to see who
      needs holiday help - especially pet stores - you know
      a lot already, and may be able to get a discount on
      food for a while.

      dg
    • spudsnut101
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
        Michelle:

        Based on my own first hand experience, I just wanted to throw a word of
        caution your way. If you try to change Cirrus's PH level too much in
        the opposite direction, you "might" end up with a bigger, more serious
        probem.

        Years ago, my Tyler developed struvite crystals, was unblocked and
        placed on prescription food to prevent future problems. He was on this
        diet a little over 1 year when he became completely blocked without any
        of the tell tale warning signs ahead of time (frequenting litter box,
        etc.) X-Rays showed he now had bladder stones and needed surgery. Lab
        report on stones showed they were oxalate stones, which cannot be
        disolved like struvite can be.

        After much research on my own and lengthly talks with my vet, it seems
        that a lot of pet food companies (both prescription & regular)
        scrambled years ago to come up with foods that would help prevent
        struvite crystals, which is the most common of the two types. However,
        in the process these newer foods sometimes end up changing the PH level
        too much in the other direction and oxalate stones are becoming more
        and more common in cats that eat these foods. Not ALL cats, but the
        numbers are increasing.

        My intention here Michelle is for you to be armed with as much
        information as you can before your vet visit, not to start a new war
        about what foods are good or bad. You may want to Google struvite and
        oxalate and you may want to ask your vet if you should take PH levels
        yourself at home to monitor the effect whatever food you end up feeding
        Cirrus has on his urine output.

        Jeannette

        In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, michelle fero <michellefero@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for giving me the name I will talkt to vet this week and see
        what her plan of action is.  I know Wellness has cranberries to help
        bring up the acidity in the urine.  I believe the more acidic the urine
        is the less likely to have crystal issues. What ever the vet decides I
        will do. Cirrus was adopted out of state and he had to ride in an
        airplane to get to his forever home.  Catfood is small price to pay to
        keep my little guy happy and healthy.
      • michelle fero
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
          I am curious what type of food do you feed tyler? I heard about crystals before about the 2 different kinds. I read an article it said the previously most of the cats had stuvite crystals about 75 but in a survey from 94 they said sturvite had dropped to about 40 percent. curently cirrus is eating wellness. I emailed the adoption group to see if the former owner or vet could shed some light on the type of crystals.