Re: [CatVet] Re: Kitty with a cold.

  • imacline6@webtv.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1 4:00 AM
      Most "colds" a viral, and here is no real treatment. If the
      nasal/ocular discharge is clear, and the cat is able to btreathe thru
      his/her nose, let it run its' course. If the discharge is milky, yellow,
      green, or any other color, antibiotics are probably called for.
      Antihistamines are or variable effect in cats, some respond, some don't.
      The simplest and cheapest way to help would be steam. A steamy bathroom
      or an enclosed space with a vaporiser is almost always a help to
      breaking up congestion. 30 minutes at a time, as often as you can
      manage. If the cat is mouth reathing, and the steam/vaporiser doesn't
      help with that, the cat is in danger. Pneumonia is not uncommon in cats.
      Many communities have programs to help with Vet costs if you have
      no money, have you checked with your local rescue agencies? What part of
      the country are you in? Maybe someone near you can offer suggestions.
      Margo
      West Palm Beach, Florida
    • uniquesqr
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 6 5:37 AM
        Unfortunately, my sources for borrowing are have been tapped to death.

        My vet is mobile. Now that my personal situation has stabilized, I
        am planning to call him today. He has let me pay him off before.

        Next weekend, I am taking the dogs to a local pet store where they
        have $5 rabies shots on Saturdays.

        --- In CatVet@y..., "fredferal" <catscatscats@a...> wrote:
        > My vet has special days at the fire house where they charge $10 for
        > vaccines per pet (no examine charge)..she said what makes her mad
        is
        > when someone drives up in a really nice car with a dog that has
        just
        > come from the groomers (bows in the hair) to get their pets
        > vaccinated. She wishes to see more people who cannot afford the
        > examine charges at least get the rabies vaccine. If i don't have
        > money, i just don't go to movies, don't take vacations or buy
        > anything that really isn't necessary. If i was flat out broke and
        my
        > cat needed care, i would borrow the money from a friend.
        >
        > --- In CatVet@y..., <pugmom4@c...> wrote:
        > > If you choose to vaccinate (I don't after the first year), call
        you
        > local spca - they should have a list of low cost shot clinics.
        > >
        > > Mindy

      • uniquesqr
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 6 5:42 AM
          That is pretty much what I have been doing. I started by taking Tiff
          into the bathroom with me and turning on the shower. She also likes
          to hide in the small space under my pedestal bed, so I put a pot with
          water and vapo steam under there with her. I have been using
          children's nasal spray every day or so. She doesn't like it very
          much. As I said before, I plan to call my vet as soon as I get
          offline.

        • Deborah Smith
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 6 7:13 AM
            >>I have been using children's nasal spray every day or so. >>
            How do you use the nasal spray? Will your kitty let you spray this in her nose?
            My mother feeds a feral female cat and when she has a litter, it seems that one of the kitten will have a stuffy nose. I appreciate all the advice and will tell her.
            Hicando
            That is pretty much what I have been doing. I started by taking Tiff
            into the bathroom with me and turning on the shower. She also likes
            to hide in the small space under my pedestal bed, so I put a pot with
            water and vapo steam under there with her. I have been using
            children's nasal spray every day or so. She doesn't like it very
            much. As I said before, I plan to call my vet as soon as I get
            offline.

            --- In CatVet@y..., Lois Cook <lacook_98@y...> wrote:
            > My vet always suggest using pediatric neosynephine.
            > You can get this over the counter at the drug store.
            > Do not use more than once a day for three days. Also,
            > put the little one in the bathroom with you when you
            > are taking a shower. The steam will help break up the
            > congestion. If you have a vaporizer, put the cat in
            > his carrier, tent the carrier and turn the vaporizer
            > on. Don't leave them in there for a long time, but
            > remove them immediately, wrap in a blanket and put
            > them in front of the freezer for about a minute.
            > Several of my friends suggested this to me and it
            > really does work.
            >
            > Also, you can get to a vitamin store (like GNC) pick
            > up some astragalas. Give 1/4 teaspoon once a day with
            > food. This will help build up the immunity system and
            > fight the cold. You can use this for as many days as
            > you need.
            >
            > Hope this helps and please let us know how your little
            > one is doing.
            >
            > Lois
            >

            > --- uniquesqr <uniquesqr@y...> wrote:
            > > My 7 yr old domestic medium hair has been stuffed up
            > > for a couple of
            > > weeks now. She seems to be in perfect health
            > > otherwise.
            > >
            > > It rips my heart out to hear her struggling to
            > > breath through her
            > > nose.
            > >
            > > My bed is on a platform with drawers on either side
            > > and a apace down
            > > the middle. Tiffany prefers to spend most of her
            > > time under the bed
            > > where it is dark and quiet. I put an electric
            > > fondue pot under there
            > > with water and VapoSteam in hopes of helping her
            > > breath easier. The
            > > pot is turned off most of the time.
            > >
            > > Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can help
            > > her feel better?
            > >
            > > How about children's nasal spray?
            > >
            > > A sliver of Benadryl?
            > >

            > =====
            > Lois A. Cook
            > Kimcheekatz Cattery
            > Woodbridge, VA
            > http://www.kimcheekats.com

            > http://greetings.yahoo.com/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Pray for Peace.

            Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary Issues and Answers to those Questions.

            To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email to:
            CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com

            To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
            CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com

            Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with varying levels of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any advice given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should consult a veterinarian.