Re: Fibroid Sarcoma on Cat's Nose

  • spandxtria
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 1, 2008
      Joni,
      I took Billie to the vet today to get her stitches out and got a copy
      of the lab report. I guess there was a misunderstanding with the
      diagnosis. The lab report is as follows:
      "GROSS DESCRIPTION: Biopsy punch used and then surrounding area
      oblated with laser.
      HISTOLOGY: Examination of the tissue from the nasal region reveals a
      proliferation of spindloid cells. These spindloid cells are growing
      irregularly in this tissue and are forming collagen. The cells are
      certainly disorganized in their growth with edema and congestion.
      Inflammation is a part of the process. These cells are definitely
      irregular.
      DIAGNOSIS: Spindle cell sarcoma consistent with a fibrosarcoma.
      COMMENT: This is a fibrosarcoma and could be similar to the feline
      sarcoid. We are concerned that there could be viral infection as part
      of the process and continued evaluation is in order. Tumor cells, of
      course, are extending to the margins. The growth is not highly
      anaplastic but it is definitely proliferative in neoplastic moderately
      aggressive manner. The mitotic index is low."
      If anyone knows how to translate this I'd surely appreciate it. The
      vet said radiation was not recommended right now, but if the tumor
      reoccurs I'll have to take Billie to a bigger center, to an
      oncologist. She is such a sweetheart and all I can do right now is pray.

      --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "Joni" <catspjamas@...> wrote:

      > According to the medical dictionary:
      >
      > sarcoid 1. sarcoidosis. 2. a sarcoma-like tumor. 3. flesh-like.
      >
      > sarcoidosis a chronic, progressive, generalized granulomatous
      > reticulosis involving almost any organ or tissue,... So yes it is
      > similar to a granuloma.
      >
      > Joni
      >
      > --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, diana <diana@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Joni wrote:
      > > > I forgot to say that since you were told Billie's tumor was a
      > fibroid
      > > > sarcoma, she has the lesser of the two, the tumor that is made up
      > of
      > > > fiber. Not the agressive fibrosarcoma.
      > >
      > > (much snippage - Thank you, Joni, for the real info).
      > >
      > > Meanwhile - what is the Sarcoid that was mentioned first?
      > >
      > > All I could find on-line was that it was something similar
      > > to granulomas; and nothing that really said "Sarcoid Tumor".
      > >
      > > dg

    • CatWoman
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 1, 2008
        Joni - whatever you can tell us will be helpful to
        all of us. I've been dealing with a lot of cancers
        lately, but this is a new one for me.

        I *think* I know what it is saying - but I really
        want your input.

        dg
      • CatWoman
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 1, 2008
          michelle fero wrote:
          > Here is a link I found about it It is the same thing my Andrew had but I only heard of so far because of the cat body having a physical allergic reaction to the adjuvent in the vaccines VAS. If you can afford I would see if you can take her to an oncologist.
          >
          > http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/sar.html

          The one thing that needs to be done here - Joni,
          let me know if this is wrong - I learned it 10
          years ago - is that if it is in an area where
          injections are not given, it is a "real" fibrosarcoma,
          not a vaccine-induced fibrosarcoma.

          For what it's worth - the bottom line is that both are
          fibrosarcomas - the "good news" is that it would have
          happened anyway, even if the cat had never had a
          vaccine in its life.

          dg
        • michelle fero
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 1, 2008
            Here is a link I found about it  It is the same thing my Andrew had but I only heard of so far because of the cat body having a physical allergic reaction to the adjuvent in the vaccines VAS.  If you can afford I would see if you can take her to an oncologist.

            http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/sar.html

            God Bless,
            Michelle Fero

            I took Billie to the vet today to get her stitches out and got a copy
            of the lab report. I guess there was a misunderstanding with the
            diagnosis. The lab report is as follows:
            "GROSS DESCRIPTION: Biopsy punch used and then surrounding area
            oblated with laser.
            HISTOLOGY: Examination of the tissue from the nasal region reveals a
            proliferation of spindloid cells. These spindloid cells are growing
            irregularly in this tissue and are forming collagen. The cells are
            certainly disorganized in their growth with edema and congestion.
            Inflammation is a part of the process. These cells are definitely
            irregular.
            DIAGNOSIS: Spindle cell sarcoma consistent with a fibrosarcoma.
            COMMENT: This is a fibrosarcoma and could be similar to the feline
            sarcoid. We are concerned that there could be viral infection as part
            of the process and continued evaluation is in order. Tumor cells, of
            course, are extending to the margins. The growth is not highly
            anaplastic but it is definitely proliferative in neoplastic moderately
            aggressive manner. The mitotic index is low."
            If anyone knows how to translate this I'd surely appreciate it. The
            vet said radiation was not recommended right now, but if the tumor
            reoccurs I'll have to take Billie to a bigger center, to an
            oncologist. She is such a sweetheart and all I can do right now is pray.

            --- In CatVet@yahoogroups. com, "Joni" <catspjamas@ ...> wrote:

            > According to the medical dictionary:
            >
            > sarcoid 1. sarcoidosis. 2. a sarcoma-like tumor. 3. flesh-like.
            >
            > sarcoidosis a chronic, progressive, generalized granulomatous
            > reticulosis involving almost any organ or tissue,... So yes it is
            > similar to a granuloma.
            >
            > Joni
            >
            > --- In CatVet@yahoogroups. com, diana <diana@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Joni wrote:
            > > > I forgot to say that since you were told Billie's tumor was a
            > fibroid
            > > > sarcoma, she has the lesser of the two, the tumor that is made up
            > of
            > > > fiber. Not the agressive fibrosarcoma.
            > >
            > > (much snippage - Thank you, Joni, for the real info).
            > >
            > > Meanwhile - what is the Sarcoid that was mentioned first?
            > >
            > > All I could find on-line was that it was something similar
            > > to granulomas; and nothing that really said "Sarcoid Tumor".
            > >
            > > dg

          • Joni
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 1, 2008
              This is a fibrosarcoma in which the cells look like spindles when
              veiwed under the microscope. "proliferative in neoplastic moderately
              aggressive manner" means it will grow back pretty quickly, but since
              the "mitotic index is low" it isn't highly malginant.

              Unfortunately, if they weren't able to get clean margins using the
              laser, then the tumor will come back. Do you know if your vet
              consulted with an oncologist about the radation or any other
              treatments? If he didn't, and doesn't seem to think there is a need
              to, then you should call an oncologist yourself.

              Joni

              --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "spandxtria" <scooby@...> wrote:

              > Joni,
              > I took Billie to the vet today to get her stitches out and got a
              copy
              > of the lab report. I guess there was a misunderstanding with the
              > diagnosis. The lab report is as follows:
              > "GROSS DESCRIPTION: Biopsy punch used and then surrounding area
              > oblated with laser.
              > HISTOLOGY: Examination of the tissue from the nasal region reveals a
              > proliferation of spindloid cells. These spindloid cells are growing
              > irregularly in this tissue and are forming collagen. The cells are
              > certainly disorganized in their growth with edema and congestion.
              > Inflammation is a part of the process. These cells are definitely
              > irregular.
              > DIAGNOSIS: Spindle cell sarcoma consistent with a fibrosarcoma.
              > COMMENT: This is a fibrosarcoma and could be similar to the feline
              > sarcoid. We are concerned that there could be viral infection as
              part
              > of the process and continued evaluation is in order. Tumor cells,
              of
              > course, are extending to the margins. The growth is not highly
              > anaplastic but it is definitely proliferative in neoplastic
              moderately
              > aggressive manner. The mitotic index is low."
              > If anyone knows how to translate this I'd surely appreciate it. The
              > vet said radiation was not recommended right now, but if the tumor
              > reoccurs I'll have to take Billie to a bigger center, to an
              > oncologist. She is such a sweetheart and all I can do right now is
              pray.

              > --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "Joni" <catspjamas@> wrote:
              > >
              > > According to the medical dictionary:
              > >
              > > sarcoid 1. sarcoidosis. 2. a sarcoma-like tumor. 3. flesh-like.
              > >
              > > sarcoidosis a chronic, progressive, generalized granulomatous
              > > reticulosis involving almost any organ or tissue,... So yes it
              is
              > > similar to a granuloma.
              > >
              > > Joni
              > >
              > > --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, diana <diana@> wrote:

              > > fibroid
              > > of
              > > >
              > > > (much snippage - Thank you, Joni, for the real info).
              > > >
              > > > Meanwhile - what is the Sarcoid that was mentioned first?
              > > >
              > > > All I could find on-line was that it was something similar
              > > > to granulomas; and nothing that really said "Sarcoid Tumor".
              > > >
              > > > dg

            • Joni
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 1, 2008
                You're right, it being on the nose, it's a "real" fibrosarcoma, it
                doesn't have anything to do with vaccines.

                Joni

                --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, CatWoman <diana@...> wrote:

                > michelle fero wrote:
                > > Here is a link I found about it It is the same thing my Andrew
                had but I only heard of so far because of the cat body having a
                physical allergic reaction to the adjuvent in the vaccines VAS. If
                you can afford I would see if you can take her to an oncologist.

                > > http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/sar.html
                >
                > The one thing that needs to be done here - Joni,
                > let me know if this is wrong - I learned it 10
                > years ago - is that if it is in an area where
                > injections are not given, it is a "real" fibrosarcoma,
                > not a vaccine-induced fibrosarcoma.
                >
                > For what it's worth - the bottom line is that both are
                > fibrosarcomas - the "good news" is that it would have
                > happened anyway, even if the cat had never had a
                > vaccine in its life.
                >
                > dg

              • Joni
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 1, 2008
                  It gets confusing because they use what the cell looks like to give it
                  a name. It's still a fibrosarcoma, so the source of the tumor is the
                  same, fibroblast that are supposed to become connective tissue, but
                  because the cells look like spindles, it's called spindle cell
                  sarcoma. My dog's sarcoma was reported as a pleomorphic sarcoma.
                  Which basically means the cells have more than one shape or form. They
                  can also be named after the person that first described the sarcoma.