Finicky Older Cat

  • united0@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2001
      My cat is 14yrs old and spoiled rotten.He is neutered and always been
      an inside cat.He is basically very healthy for his age I've always
      tried to feed him an assortment of food(canned &dry).I use to buy
      iam's , precise, and nutro.Lately he doesn't like any flavor or brand
      of canned food,but consistently hounds me to feed him.Any help would
      be greatly appreciated. p.s.when I'm cooking he's my best friend.
      Thanks num13
    • diana@wetware.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 2001
        }My cat is 14yrs old and spoiled rotten.He is neutered and always been
        }an inside cat.He is basically very healthy for his age I've always
        }tried to feed him an assortment of food(canned &dry).I use to buy
        }iam's , precise, and nutro.Lately he doesn't like any flavor or brand
        }of canned food,but consistently hounds me to feed him.Any help would
        }be greatly appreciated. p.s.when I'm cooking he's my best friend.
        }Thanks num13

        My first question would be how long it has been since
        he has had a full blood workup and urinalisys. Any
        behaviour that is different, especially in an older
        cat, warrants a trip to the vet...

        Is he showing signs of not eating (losing weight, fur
        looking bad, dehydration)?

        If not, and he is eating *something*, then maybe he
        is just not needing as much food.

        If you have been to the vet recently and there was no
        indication of any of the usual problems (CRF, thyroid,
        liver, etc.) - you say he will eat human food - so try
        putting some cooked chicken in with his canned food,
        and see if you can get him interested in it again.

        Diana