Milk

  • Iris Dunson
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
      Back in the day, I grew up on a farm. Occasionally, we would give our
      cats "table food". For example, if we had left over spaghetti, my mom
      would set it out on a paper plate and they would have a feeding
      frenzy. Or maybe, as a treat, she would give them some milk if she
      wanted to finish the bottle (yes kids, that's how old I am. we had
      crank telephones).

      Since that time, I have learned the error of that way, especially with
      the food we consume these days & I try to keep the little pig in the
      house, Beebop the male cat, away from such things. My female, Feebee,
      is so finicky, it isn't a problem. Only with the Beebopper. My
      question is, since I drink 1% milk in this home, is it okay to now &
      then give them, say a couple of tablespoons of that milk? They seem to
      like it and go bonkers each time I have a bowl of cereal.

      What is the general concensus about this idea?

      +Iris+
    • maxandfrancis@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
        My cats get diarrhea from milk. I believe adult cats have a lactose intolerance, but others may know better. Mary
        From: "Iris Dunson" <irisfromohio@...>
        > Back in the day, I grew up on a farm. Occasionally, we would give our
        > cats "table food". For example, if we had left over spaghetti, my mom
        > would set it out on a paper plate and they would have a feeding
        > frenzy. Or maybe, as a treat, she would give them some milk if she
        > wanted to finish the bottle (yes kids, that's how old I am. we had
        > crank telephones).
        >
        > Since that time, I have learned the error of that way, especially with
        > the food we consume these days & I try to keep the little pig in the
        > house, Beebop the male cat, away from such things. My female, Feebee,
        > is so finicky, it isn't a problem. Only with the Beebopper. My
        > question is, since I drink 1% milk in this home, is it okay to now &
        > then give them, say a couple of tablespoons of that milk? They seem to
        > like it and go bonkers each time I have a bowl of cereal.
        >
        > What is the general concensus about this idea?
        >
        > +Iris+

      • Annie Booker
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
          I asked my vet about this recently and his answer was

          You can give cats cow's milk occasionally. If it gives them diarrhea then
          you'll know not to give it to them again. A safer alternative is the lactose
          free Pets milk you can buy in supermarkets.

          Annie

        • candle850-cats@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
            My vet explained that as long as it isn't poisonous to the cat and the cat doesn't react (diahrea, health related problems, etc.) then it is okay to give the cats what I am eating as long as it is a treat and not a staple of their diet. Sometimes, I don't have a choice in the matter. I look away for a second and they start to lick my ice cream, milk, pudding, or even try to walk off with a mini pizza roll. I get the pizza roll back because I think that is too much for them. I will let them lick the melted cheese or lick the outside of the roll. My cats will only take a few licks and they are fine so I don't have to worry too much about the overload.

            Candle
            May there always be a light to guide you.

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
              I also put out a small amount of milk in a bowl if I have just a bit remaining every once in a while and only one cat out of my herd was ever interested and it sat fine with her. I have also read that most cats are lactose intolerant. I have tried the catsip and other kinds and no one was really interested.

              I do share my yogurt smoothies with the same cat who will drink a bit of the milk. I pour a bit into the cap and leave it for her. It's a small amount. She is actually underweight so I don't worry about the calories.

              I always share holiday leftovers, ham and turkey, with the cats. Crab legs and shrimp, too. Feeding frenzy. I shred up leftovers and freeze so they don't get huge amounts. I also have had two carb crazy kitties so I cannot leave bread products on the counter or else. I came home once to find a bag of garlic poppyseed bagels on the floor, plastic ripped to shreds and bagel pieces everywhere. One cat even stole a slice of pizza right out of the box and I share bits of pizza crust with her. I think it depends upon the cat and what they learned to eat. Since most of mine were rescued strays, they will eat about anything. My one cat has a thing for frozen spinach leaves, but he mostly bats them around until they thaw under a throw rug.

              I feed dry food 24/7 and small amounts of canned for breakfast and dinner. A lot of the cats I've had will binge and purge on the canned food so I always have to watch to ensure they don't get very much at all. One cat will only eat canned food, I see her sneak a piece or two of dry food a week at most. My cat eating exclusively canned food is 7 years old, a little skinny but definitely not overweight and has perfect teeth. They are all individuals so it's really hard to say what is best for all across the board. Sometimes my male cat won't touch the canned food for days at a time, even the kinds I know he likes.

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
                I have one cat who goes crazy for Milk. I drink 2% and I give it to him
                every once in a whole. Every few months maybe. (I don't use it much myself.) He
                has no problem with it. None of my other cats have ever been interested in it.
                They smell it and walk away.

                Annette

                In a message dated 2/1/2008 11:11:22 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                irisfromohio@... writes:

[...]

                48)

              • catdancing0801@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
                  I admit I sometimes give my cat Karma milk. She loves it. She has a tendency
                  to have diarrhea and the milk actually helps her.

                  PURRS,
                  REGINA

                  ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
                  ¸.·´ .·´¨¨)).· ´¨¨)) -:¦:- ·´
                  ((¸¸. ·´ .. ·´Catdancing -:¦:-
                  -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* -:¦:- ´* -:¦:- ´*

                  "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and
                  will pee on
                  your computer." --Bruce Graham

                  =^..^= | =^..^= | =^..^= | =^..^= | =^..^= | =^..^= | =^..^=

                  Pain is deeper than all thought, laughter is higher than all pain.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
                    I meant she has constipation,duh.

                    PURRS,
                    REGINA

                    ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
                    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨)).· ´¨¨)) -:¦:- ·´
                    ((¸¸. ·´ .. ·´Catdancing -:¦:-
                    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* -:¦:- ´* -:¦:- ´*

                    "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and
                    will pee on
                    your computer." --Bruce Graham

                    =^..^= | =^..^= | =^..^= | =^..^= | =^..^= | =^..^= | =^..^=

                    Pain is deeper than all thought, laughter is higher than all pain.

                    _candle850-cats@candle850_ (mailto:candle850-cats@...) writes:

[...]

                    ************************<WBR>**Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time
                    (_http://music.http://music.<WBhttp://muhttp://mushttp://muhttp://music.<WBhtt
                    p://_
                    (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp003000000025)
                    48)

                    48)

                  • donna scroggs
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 16, 2008
                      We see cats drinking milk in commercials, old tv shows and the like. But the fact of the matter is that most cats are lactose intolerant. That means that they can't digest the sugars in milk. Milk also has very little to no nutritional value for cats. The fact of the matter is that a cat fed only on milk will die of malnutrition. However most cats LOVE the taste of milk, so what do you do?

                      As a staple cats should always have fresh, cool water available to them. As long as your cat isn't lactose intolerant, milk is not bad for cats if it is given as an occasional treat (think of it as kitty junk food). The first step is to determine if your cat likes milk. If your cat does like milk then determine is he or she is lactose intolerant. If your cat is lactose intolerant then he/she will have a little diarrhea and a little stomach problems for a few days after drinking the milk. In this case you will definitely want to give your kitty a milk substitute created for cats. Such a substitute is created to have some nutritional value for cats while not upsetting their stomachs as real milk can. A good substitute is Cat's Sip, it can be found in your local pet store or grocery store. Many veterinarians suggest that if your cat does like milk and even if he/she isn't lactose intolerant that you should get him/her used to a milk substitute anyhow as it
                      is better for the cat.
                      Donna ACS
                    • Ginger Clark
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 16, 2008
                        Thanks!
                        I'd been giving my kitty 1/2 and 1/2 to help him keep his weight up.
                        I watched carefully for diarrhea and found none so just continued
                        with it.
                        You're right.
                        They sure do love it!
                        Ginger

                        On May 16, 2008, at 8:03 AM, donna scroggs wrote:

                        > We see cats drinking milk in commercials, old tv shows and the
                        > like. But the fact of the matter is that most cats are lactose
                        > intolerant. That means that they can't digest the sugars in milk.
                        > Milk also has very little to no nutritional value for cats. The
                        > fact of the matter is that a cat fed only on milk will die of
                        > malnutrition. However most cats LOVE the taste of milk, so what do
                        > you do?
                        >
                        > As a staple cats should always have fresh, cool water available to
                        > them. As long as your cat isn't lactose intolerant, milk is not bad
                        > for cats if it is given as an occasional treat (think of it as
                        > kitty junk food). The first step is to determine if your cat likes
                        > milk. If your cat does like milk then determine is he or she is
                        > lactose intolerant. If your cat is lactose intolerant then he/she
                        > will have a little diarrhea and a little stomach problems for a few
                        > days after drinking the milk. In this case you will definitely want
                        > to give your kitty a milk substitute created for cats. Such a
                        > substitute is created to have some nutritional value for cats while
                        > not upsetting their stomachs as real milk can. A good substitute is
                        > Cat's Sip, it can be found in your local pet store or grocery
                        > store. Many veterinarians suggest that if your cat does like milk
                        > and even if he/she isn't lactose intolerant that you should get him/
                        > her used to a milk substitute anyhow as it
                        > is better for the cat.
                        > Donna ACS

                      • michelle fero
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 16, 2008
                          Ginger,

                          I looked up half and half and never could find exactly what it is made up.  But honestly you would be better of giving Dutch a higher quality catfood.  People food is not really for fur babies. It you going to supliment you could go with 10/10 cat food maybe canned liked Halo's spots stew the kids loved it.  It looks like real stew.  It actualy has real peas it .

                          If not buy some fresh chicken breast then put it in the crock pot.  Fresh raw chicken is better  for both u and Dutch as it has less chemical added. If you look at frozen chicken alot more nasty chemicals are added.  Just put it in the  crock pot and let him have the chicken and save the juice as it good too.

                          PS> chicken is considered kidney friendly I believe it is low in phosphorus which is hard on the kidney's.

                          Thanks,
                          Michelle
                        • Ginger Clark
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 17, 2008
                            Well, that's good to know. Who would have thought?
                            Thanks
                            Ginger