Re: Drooling

  • loopyma
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
      -Hi there,the dear little hairballs apparently drool when they are
      happy and contented. Jenni

      -- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, margie <margiemeux@...> wrote:

      > julie, most of my adult cats drool when petted.
      > don't know why. they all have nice, clean teeth,
      > no oral problems. they just slobber.. margie
      > --- julie lemons <julieklemons@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I have a "semi feral" (almost tamed) male cat
      > > who will drool like crazy when he's being
      > > petted. He also drools when he's waiting for
      > > his supper.
      > > I have not been able to get him to the vet yet,
      > > as he's not that tame, so I don't know if he
      > > has other health problems. My DH thinks he
      > > drools when petted becauses he's still a little
      > > afraid of us, and is in conflict. I don't know
      > > if it's that because he also drools when he's
      > > hungry.
      > > Julie

    • Jennifer Matis
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 25 9:09 PM
        Hey everybody! Got a question about drooling. Has anyone had a cat that all of a sudden started drooling excessively? I'm starting to worry about my Maxie. I noticed wet spots on my bed where he tends to lay last night. Never thought anything of it as he gets his little chin soaking wet when he drinks. But tonight his face was all wet from the drool. I've been wiping it up for the last few hours. I've done a quick exam of his mouth and wasn't able to see anything. Of course he wasn't too impressed with me getting my fingers in there and getting it open. I don't see any abcesses or dental issue. Nor do I see anything stuck in his mouth. He's still eating and is drinking quite a bit, but he usually does at night. He doesn't seem to be sick. He's hunched up in a ball which leave me thinking a hairball or a sore belly. He didn't get into anything that I know of and there wasn't anything unusual left out for him to get into. I gave him a wee tiny bit of pepcid (as per my vet) to see if perhaps he was nauseous and that was making him drool. Its been 2 hours and he's still drooling. Any ideas or suggestions. I think I'll be calling the vet tomorrow if it doesn't clear up. He's starting to worry me.

        Jen

      • donna scroggs
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 25 9:20 PM
          Ptyalism is the term used to describe excessive drooling. Animals
          might have increased salivation associated with certain stimuli, for
          example the smell of food, but when its onset is sudden and it
          persists, it is usually associated with illness or injury. There are a whole host of possible causes why your cat might be drooling excessively. Here are just a few: Gingivitis (inflammation of the gums); Dental disease; Tongue injury; Mouth ulcer; Oral or esophageal tumor; Nausea and others.You need to take your cat to the vet for a thorough examination, and
          normally this will include just the oral cavity unless this fails to
          find the solution. In the meantime, look out for vomiting, loss of
          appetite or difficulty breathing. Any of these symptoms might suggest
          there are complications that require immediate attention.
          Donna ACS

        • THOMPMARG@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 26 11:05 AM
            My cat had same symptoms. I took him to the vet and was told Bubba had a
            growth in his mouth. That's what was causing the drooling.

            In a message dated 4/25/2009 11:10:01 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
            jaylie23@... writes:

[...]

            ------------------------------------

            Pray for Peace.

            Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary Issues and
            Answers to those Questions.

            To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email to:
            CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com

            To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
            CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com

            Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with varying levels
            of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any advice
            given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should consult a
            veterinarian.Yahoo! Groups Links

            web. Get the Radio Toolbar!

          • Jennifer Matis
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 26 1:40 PM
              I talked to the vet this morning. Max woke me up at 3 this morning with sounded like either sneezing or hacking of a hairball. Not totally sure which one. He has been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and he tends to sneeze alot when it acts up. I checked his mouth a few times and could see absolutely nothing. So when I talked to the vet and mentioned the IBS he said that may be the problem. He didn't seem worried as Max is still eating and drinking. He basically told me to watch him for the day and if it continued he would see him later today or if it could wait til tomorrow when I could take Maxie to our vet. Our clinics here in town share the after hours duties. So Max has stopped drooling as far as I can see. He did take his flagyl for his IBS this morning. Hopefully that may have been the problem. I'll continue to keep and eye on him and phone our vet tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the help everyone.

              Jen