Looking for a good breed of Dog that is good with cats and around 45 lbs.

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 2:29 PM
      I have 2 cats that are great, one is really laid back, he's almost 2
      and then a 10 montyh old that is for the most part laid back but likes
      to play. We want to add a small-medium dog that is under 45 lbs to
      our family. We live in an apartment, so nothing super loud and that is
      good with kitties!
      Any suggestions are appreciated!
    • Gryphonwood
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 3:24 PM
        Although I am partial to retrievers myself, I think something else for apartment dwelling would be more appropriate. If you don't have children and want a couch potato that is not too loud or excitable try looking for a good breeder (read here as NOT a unregistered breeder or pet store) of Basset Hounds. They are mellow, loving couch potatoes who are happy with going for walks and do pretty well with cats. I would avoid anything in the terrier group (strong prey drive) and the toy group (apologies in advance to those who have these, but they are not known for quiet indoor voices or infrequent barking). If you plan on being more active than a minimum 3-4 quick leash walks (i.e. a jogger etc.) a Nova Scotia Duck Toller or a Portugese Water Dog combines those great retriever personality & trainability heritage with a smaller package than the average retriever. Again...go to a couple of AKC or CKC registered breeders who works with the breed you are interested in and look
        for someone who is knowledgable about the good and not-so good aspects of their breed and can help you decide if this is the dog for you. Run away from folks who have barns full of mixed breeds like Shitz-poos, Cocka-poos etc. or who will pretty much hand you the puppy as soon as you walk in the door. A good breeder (cat or dog) will have as many questions for you as you should have for them. Try the AKC website for breed info and I think they still have the 'what breed is right for you' finder. Good luck!

        Heather Reynolds
        Gryphonwood Birmans
        Guelph, ON Canada
        www.GryphonwoodBirmans.piczo.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 11:25 PM
          Jennifer,

          We don't have a dog w/our cats, but we've heard and know from friends, that
          pugs are great w/cats. Also a breeder I happen to know, said so.

          Good luck on finding the right dog.

          Astrid

          >I have 2 cats that are great, one is really laid back, he's almost 2
          > and then a 10 montyh old that is for the most part laid back but likes
          > to play. We want to add a small-medium dog that is under 45 lbs to
          > our family. We live in an apartment, so nothing super loud and that is
          > good with kitties!
          > Any suggestions are appreciated!
        • vicki wright
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3 4:00 AM
            Can;t help you here. All I have is a Golden, a Rottweiler and a Dobie mix.
            All good with cats but over 45 pounds. On the serious side, good luck.

            Vicki in Maryland

            >From: "Jennifer" <jenlei1979@...>
            >To: CatVet@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [CatVet] Looking for a good breed of Dog that is good with cats
            >and around 45 lbs.
            >Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 21:29:20 -0000
            >
            >I have 2 cats that are great, one is really laid back, he's almost 2
            >and then a 10 montyh old that is for the most part laid back but likes
            >to play. We want to add a small-medium dog that is under 45 lbs to
            >our family. We live in an apartment, so nothing super loud and that is
            >good with kitties!
            >Any suggestions are appreciated!
            >

            >Pray for Peace.
            >
            >Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary Issues and
            >Answers to those Questions.
            >
            >To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email to:
            >CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com
            >
            >To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
            >CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com
            >
            >Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with varying levels
            >of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any advice
            >given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should consult a
            >veterinarian.
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Al-Bahr Kwerobina Canty

              >I have 2 cats that are great, one is really laid back, he's almost 2
              > and then a 10 montyh old that is for the most part laid back but likes
              > to play. We want to add a small-medium dog that is under 45 lbs to
              > our family. We live in an apartment, so nothing super loud and that is
              > good with kitties!
              > Any suggestions are appreciated!

              IMG_0009

              My Birthverse... 1 Thessalonians 5:28 NIV
              The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.