Helping a grieving cat

  • Verna Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hi Everyone,

      I just lost my cat of ten years to congestive heart
      disease.I am grieving terribly but it's even worse to
      see my other cat grieve and wonder when her brother is
      coming back.Is there any advice on helping my other
      cat get through this? She has grown up with him so
      this is extra hard on her.

      Verna

    • Dawn Brobst
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
        Two years ago, we lost Half-pint to a hit & run driver. It took
        Cassie, (his half sister) about 4-6 weeks to stop looking. I let her
        sleep with me, and made sure I had his toys and blanket with his
        smell. I know this following might sound weird, but it helped me--I
        held Cassie while I cried, and I mentally pictured Half-pint as I
        held him dying. I believe she physically understood, eventually, that
        he was gone and she even tried to comfort me when I cried. They had
        been a close two-some, but lots of ;human contact seemed to help her
        along.

        Our household is very busy with people and lots of other pets so
        there is lots of distractions. After about 9 moths we had to start
        her on steriod shots, because she had became a compulsive licker. I
        can't tell if that had anything to do with the death of her brother,
        or stress from new pets, or just because. But two years later,she is
        healthy and usually happy and claims to be the house princess.

        As for personal grieving, the best thing for me was I got a mini-
        scrapbook, gathered up all Half-pints pictures, and wrote down as
        many stories as I could remember, even though I cried hysterically.
        I'm glad I worked through the tears, because now my memory is not as
        sharp and time blurs, but because I wrote things down I can read and
        remember all the love.

        I'm sending you both a big hug {...}

        Dawn B.