Sick Kitten

  • Cheri Calderone
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
      I am seeking help for a friend of mine who is not a member of this
      group. She has recently had her first litter of 4 kittens. When
      they were 8 weeks old they had their first vaccines by her Vet.
      Within 4 days two came down with vomiting and refusing to eat.
      Within a couple of days they were recovered. However, 11 days later
      this is what she has written to me:

      "Our spotted female kitten is very sick. She had what the other
      kittens had but didn't totally spring back like they did. Yesterday
      morning she was acting lethargic and Rog and I had to work 16hr
      shifts so I had my daughter come check on her. She calls me at work
      and says it looks like the kitten's leg is broken! When Rog and I got
      home we noticed her rt shoulder had a lump and she was favoring that
      leg and meowing in pain when it was touched. That is the shoulder she
      got her shot in on the 20th. We took her to vet this morn, she had a
      fever 102.9 and had lost 10oz! the vet tried to aspirate the abscess
      but nothing came out. They gave her IV fluid, 50cc, antibiotic and I
      have to force feed her formula and prescription food, 5cc, every 3
      hrs. We have to bring her back tomorrow morning. She doesn't seem any
      better yet."

      Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong with her female kitten?
      We would like to know if this could be related to the vaccine, or if
      anyone has experienced this kind of illness in a kitten before.
      Please allow me to share your answers with her.

      Thank you!

      Cheri
      www.cheriscats.com
    • CatWoman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
        I know you can't get to your vet today, but I'd check the
        records to see if there was a vaccine given in that area.

        Some cats do react to some vaccines. It's probably way
        too soon to consider a VAS, so it's probably an inflammation.
        Also check if there are any swellings where the other vacs
        were given.

        Check with the vet to see if a steroid would help to lower
        the inflammation - or an antihistamine, or something like
        that.

        I would definitely keep her eating - if she's throwing up,
        consider injected reglan.

        If she's still not really any better, I'd leave her at the
        e-vet, and also consider an x-ray to be sure she did not do
        something to the leg.

        dg
      • CatWoman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
          Oh - and check to make sure it's not just a coincidence with
          the vacs, and that she isn't dealing with an infection from
          being bitten too hard by one of her siblings...

          dg
        • umcpfreck@mindspring.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
            Cheri,

            It could be a vaccine related abcess or one of her brothers and sisters caught a claw in her shoulders. Either way try to keep feeding her and keep up on the antibiotics

            Kristen
            Dvm

[...]

            Pray for Peace.

            Please limit postings to Questions on Cat Health and Veterinary Issues and Answers to those Questions.

            To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email to:
            CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com

            To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
            CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com

            Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with varying levels of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any advice given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should consult a veterinarian.
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Candle
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
              This may be a weird question, but can our cats catch our flus or colds or can we catch it from them? I thought that our one cat had a cold the last time I was really sick with a cold about 5 years ago. I have been sick since then, but not as bad. This last week I have had a horrible cold or flu, never sure how to tell them apart. I was throwing up and and had a terrible cough. Now the same cat has a horse meow and is being watched for other symptoms. Last time, we took him to the vet and he got meds so we will do the same this time if he gets sick. I just wanted to know if they can get sick from us or us from them.

              Candle

              May there always be a light to guide you.