Re: Anyone dealt with Corona virus FIPor FECV

  • birman_oscar
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
      There is no real "FIP test", a very high Corona titre combined with
      FIP symptoms (lethargy, appetite loss, ongoing fever etc.) and
      specific bloodpanel abnormalities like high Albumin/Globulin ratio
      can point to FIP but the diagnosis can be very challenging and
      sometimes even not conclusive.

      It is important that your vet rules out other diseases like FIV.
      Please ask your vet to treat the symptoms first. She could for
      example suscribe an appetite stimulant. If the symptoms last longer
      than a week a more serious disease becomes likely. But I think it is
      just far too soon to consider FIP, the corona titre tests are not
      very reliable and can not be used as a diagnostic tool without
      looking at the whole medical picture.

      Good luck, I hope you cat recovers soon.

      Marleen (not a vet), missing angel Oscar who died of dry FIP in June

      --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "Forsyth" <dforsyt@...> wrote:

      > FIP tests can be false positive. You can always get a second
      opinion - I
      > would separate the cats until you know what you are dealing with
      > Lorraine

      Issues and
      > Answers to those Questions.
      > >
      > > To receive only ONE EMAIL PER DAY from this group , send an email
      to:
      > > CatVet-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > >
      > > To receive NO MORE EMAIL from this group, send an email to:
      > > CatVet-nomail@yahoogroups.com
      > >
      > > Please note: Advice is given free of charge by people with
      varying levels
      > of expertise. It is up to you as a cat owner to assess whether any
      advice
      > given to you is appropriate. If you are in any doubt, you should
      consult a
      > veterinarian.
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > > --
      27/07/2006

    • birman_oscar
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
        sorry this should read: LOW Albumin/Globulin ratio (and not high!)

        You can find detailed info regarding FIP on Dr. Addie's website:

        http://www.dr-addie.com/WhatIsFIP.htm

        Marleen
      • Cat Lover
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
          Simply because a cat has come down with the corona virus, does not mean the cat will contract FIP.

          FeCV is as common to a cat as a cold is to a human.

          There is no accurate test on the market for FIP, only tests that show cats that have FeCV.

          Look at this example that someone once shared with me:

          You have 3 people who work side-by-side in the office. One day, person 1 comes in with a cold. (the cold, in this example, is comparable to FeCV). The cold then gets spread to person 2 and 3. Now everyone has a cold. (or in a cat's case, FeCV)

          Person 3 stays home for a week, and is back to work next week. Person 2 stays home for 2 days, and is back to work. Person 1's cold get's so bad, and person 1 already has a questionable immune system, and develops pneumonia and dies. (The pneumonia being FIP)

          FeCV is not a death sentence. It is a very common virus in cats; it's all in how the cat's body processes the virus. In rare circumstances, the virus can mutate into FIP, but just like in the example above, a cold can also become pneumonia in the right person, too. Love your cat, don't lose sleep over it.

          Just remember - FeCV is NOT FIP - they are two entirely different viruses, and FeCV does not mean your cat will even GET FIP. :) Are you going to get pneumonia if you get a cold? Not likely, but if you are very old, or very young, or are otherwise immunocompromised, maybe, but are you going to lose sleep that your cold is going to turn into pneumonia? Nah.

          Hope this helps. I had personal experiences with FIP from a good friend of mine and engulfed myself in learning about this disease.

          Take care, and best of luck to you.

          -Melody B

          There is no real "FIP test", a very high Corona titre combined with
          FIP symptoms (lethargy, appetite loss, ongoing fever etc.) and
          specific bloodpanel abnormalities like high Albumin/Globulin ratio
          can point to FIP but the diagnosis can be very challenging and
          sometimes even not conclusive.

          It is important that your vet rules out other diseases like FIV.
          Please ask your vet to treat the symptoms first. She could for
          example suscribe an appetite stimulant. If the symptoms last longer
          than a week a more serious disease becomes likely. But I think it is
          just far too soon to consider FIP, the corona titre tests are not
          very reliable and can not be used as a diagnostic tool without
          looking at the whole medical picture.

          Good luck, I hope you cat recovers soon.

          Marleen (not a vet), missing angel Oscar who died of dry FIP in June

          --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "Forsyth" <dforsyt@...> wrote:

          > FIP tests can be false positive. You can always get a second
          opinion - I
          > would separate the cats until you know what you are dealing with
          > Lorraine

          27/07/2006

        • Mary Parker
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
            That is simply the best explanation I've seen yet regarding corona virus and FIP!
            Thanks,

            Mary

          • birman_oscar
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
              I totally agree. It would be nice if more vets share this opinion. My
              former vet treated my Oscar with dry FIP like he would completely
              contaminate her practice!

              Marleen