Please Help! Cat covered with cooking oil

  • Wanda
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
      I need some advice. A couple of nights ago, one of my house cats, Big
      Brother, jumped off the refrigerator and into a pot on the stove of
      COLD cooking oil (thank goodness!!). Now Big Brother was a feral
      kitten, he's now about 1 1/2 years old, neutered, house cat, that I
      managed to get into my house and have spent almost a year trying to
      establish a relationship with. (He didn't trust me after his trip to
      the vet to get clipped.) He gets along great with my other cats but
      he's been very shy of me. I had finally got him where if I wiggled my
      fingers and called his name 'Brother' softly, he would come to me.
      Then he was just lost in esctasy when I scritched him and rubbed his
      ears and loved on him. But he's never lost that wild part of him.
      And now, I can't get near him.

      He looks so miserable and I feel like I need to bath him (I had
      another cat do this a couple of years ago and Dawn dish-soap took care
      of the problem) but I can't get near him. I'm reluctant to chase him
      down and scare him because it's taken me so long to establish any kind
      of relationship with him. But I'm scared that if I just leave all
      that oil on him, it's going to make him sick. Other than the oil he's
      perfectly healthy. I could care less about anything he gets the oil
      on, they are just things and can easily be replaced but I'm worried to
      death about him. I'm especially worried because his eyes look funny.
      I don't know if it's just because he's miserable or if he got them
      full of oil too.

      Any and ALL advice would be appreciated. His health is more important
      than anything else to me. But if I can't even catch him to bath him,
      catching him to take him to a vet is going to be just as impossible.

      Da Thump
    • Candle
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
        Can you coax him out with some food, maybe some tuna? I'm not sure what to tell you. I hope everything turns out okay.

        Candle

        May there always be a light to guide you.

      • Paige
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
          My only advice is to take him to the vet,if you can get hold of him, and let them bathe him.All of that oil on him cant be good for him.Good luck with him and let us know how it all turns out

          Candle <silverstreams@...> wrote:
          Can you coax him out with some food, maybe some tuna? I'm not sure what to tell you. I hope everything turns out okay.

          Candle

          May there always be a light to guide you.

          Paige

          Live like there is no tomorrow,Dance like no one is watching,Love like you've never been hurt....

        • Catwoman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
            Hopefully by now you've figured something out - but

            Was the oil plain vegetable oil - or at least oil that
            didn't have anything in it that can make him sick? If
            so - he may be able to clean himself with no other ill
            effects than some diarrhea (take care of any hairballs
            that he'll get from all that washing).

            If you can get anywhere near him, you might try paper
            towels - or put them down where he sits (no - not to
            protect the furniture - to absorb the oil - sorta like
            how you drain those french fries).

            If you can trap him - a trip to the vet, anesthesia,
            and a bath (and while you're at it, if he's as much like
            Morrigan as he sounds, get a nail trim, tooth cleaning,
            checkup, vaccinations, blood workup, etc. while he's out).

            dg