My Intro and I need help

  • calspootab
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      My name is Heidi Helene and I am owned by 4 wonderful cats. Kotton
      is my oldest (I think) and a Siamese girl, Missy is next and is a
      grey on top white on bottom long haired girl, Panther is my baby and
      is a black part Oriental shorthaired boy, and Ben is the love of my
      life! HE is a 2 1/2 year old DSH Spotted tabby boy and I am worried
      sick over him.

      He has always been a tough guy but right after he turned 2 years old
      he started acting lethargic or tired and not wanting to play. HE
      always bugged the heck out of Kotton so when Panther came along I
      adopted HIM for Ben! First they got along beautifully. Ben even
      washed Panthers ears. NOW suddenly about 2 months ago Ben hisses at
      Panther and if Panther tries to play he attacks him till Panther
      screams in pain. He also looks at me as if he is staring right
      though me,and when we go out in back (he and Panther are on harness
      and leashes he either just lays down and never moves or tries to
      escape by jumping over the fence! When I take him out front on his
      harness and leash, he is a completely different cat. He is happy and
      most always energetic and flops down at me feet and rolls and purrs
      up a storm and rubs against me and if I sit down will even sit on my
      lap, purring.

      Vet has seen him and checked him all over, and says bloodwork is
      fine, and he is a healthy cat and in great condition so he feels it
      is behavioral!

      Can I get some opinions on this? He is such a special boy and the
      most intelligent cat ever!

      HEidi & The Kidties
    • littlecutie12g
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        I've never owned more than one cat before, but i think it is a
        dominance thing. He attacks panther to show him he is in charge. and
        the back yard is his territory. Panther is probably getting older
        where he is an adult age and he is a bigger threat now. Ben needs to
        prove he is the man of the house. When my cat lays on the floor in
        certain rooms he acts like hes a lion and this is his domain. I know
        two dogs, one is probably 8 and the puppy is about 4. in the past
        year their roles have began to reverse. The puppy no longer bows down
        to the older one, and the puppy has been caught humping the older
        one. I dont really have any suggestions and im not a vet or anything.
        I just wanted to give my opinion. I think when it comes to dominance
        you have to let the animals figure it out.

        --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "calspootab" <calspootab@y...> wrote:

        > My name is Heidi Helene and I am owned by 4 wonderful cats. Kotton
        > is my oldest (I think) and a Siamese girl, Missy is next and is a
        > grey on top white on bottom long haired girl, Panther is my baby
        and
        > is a black part Oriental shorthaired boy, and Ben is the love of my
        > life! HE is a 2 1/2 year old DSH Spotted tabby boy and I am
        worried
        > sick over him.
        >
        > He has always been a tough guy but right after he turned 2 years
        old
        > he started acting lethargic or tired and not wanting to play. HE
        > always bugged the heck out of Kotton so when Panther came along I
        > adopted HIM for Ben! First they got along beautifully. Ben even
        > washed Panthers ears. NOW suddenly about 2 months ago Ben hisses
        at
        > Panther and if Panther tries to play he attacks him till Panther
        > screams in pain. He also looks at me as if he is staring right
        > though me,and when we go out in back (he and Panther are on harness
        > and leashes he either just lays down and never moves or tries to
        > escape by jumping over the fence! When I take him out front on his
        > harness and leash, he is a completely different cat. He is happy
        and
        > most always energetic and flops down at me feet and rolls and purrs
        > up a storm and rubs against me and if I sit down will even sit on
        my
        > lap, purring.
        >
        > Vet has seen him and checked him all over, and says bloodwork is
        > fine, and he is a healthy cat and in great condition so he feels it
        > is behavioral!
        >
        > Can I get some opinions on this? He is such a special boy and the
        > most intelligent cat ever!
        >
        > HEidi & The Kidties

      • Diana Gregory
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
          Hello.

          Have you tried some Feliway? Also - Calm Stress, Good Cat, Rescue
          Remedy or one of the other OTC calming remedies. Or Clomicalm,
          which is an anti-depressant for OCD problems that I am using now
          for two of my boys who started spraying when I brought in a family
          last year.

          dg
        • calspootab
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2005
            --- In CatVet@yahoogroups.com, "littlecutie12g" <littlecutie12g@y...>
            wrote:

            > I've never owned more than one cat before, but i think it is a
            > dominance thing. He attacks panther to show him he is in charge. and
            > the back yard is his territory. Panther is probably getting older
            > where he is an adult age and he is a bigger threat now. Ben needs to
            > prove he is the man of the house............<<<<<<<<<<

            Vet thinks you are right! Ben is suddenly refusing to lie under the
            same table Panther is under. I have been allowing them extra times
            out - in my garage. Things are better except for them not sharing the
            space under the table.

            Last night they did and suddenly Ben ran out and just looked VERY
            UPSET! Panther must have "bugged' him while he was sleeping. They
            chased each other around and then Ben went under the table and poked
            his front legs out to temp Panther. Once Panther went in Ben went
            out! I feel sad for Panther so I give him a lot of love - OUT OF
            SITE OF BEN _ but they are so funny they make me laugh my head off.
            They wrastle and Ben gets angry and jumps straight up in the air with
            all 4 feet and then propells himself at Panther. Panther IS adorable
            but Ben is so intelligent, Panther seems retarted by comparason!

            http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL22/547732/6048829/105837953.jpg side
            view of Benji in top step of big ladder

            http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL22/547732/6048829/105837936.jpg
            Panther in cubbyhole on computer desk looking at me take his photo

            HEidi & The Kidties