Re: [CatVet] Kitten vaccinations

  • kitnpup@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi Jade,
      Your kitten should also be vaccinated against distemper or
      panleukopenia. The vaccine usually used, FVRCP, also protects against
      several other viral infections common to cats.
      There are other vaccines available for FELV, FIV and FIP but indoor cats
      are not generally at great risk for these diseases and the vaccines have
      not proven very effective. There is also a risk of vaccination site
      tumors so overvaccinating is not recommended. Discuss with your vet what
      would be best for your kitty.
      Cindy

      Hi,
      I just recently found a kitten and am not sure shots he needs to get –
      being an indoor cat from now on. Wondering if anyone knows what is
      necessary for a kitten to get – besides the rabies shot.
      Jade
    • CatWoman
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
        Nightwalker256 wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I just recently found a kitten and am not sure shots he needs to get – being an indoor cat from now on. Wondering if anyone knows what is necessary for a kitten to get – besides the rabies shot.

        I get all of them, though not at once. Rabies is mandated
        by the county for licensing (and since I have so many, I
        prefer to have them licensed and legal); FVRCP just makes
        sense to do; and I still have cats that were in the house
        when I had the FeLV+ cats who could be carriers, so I get
        the FeLV as well.

        I am going to a 3 year protocol starting this year - each
        vaccine once every 3 years, cycling through the different
        vaccines.

        dg