30656Re: [CatVet] cat's raw food pads?

  • CatWoman
    Jan 9, 2014
      On 1/9/2014 7:03 AM, WhaleyB@... wrote:
      > There is no spare money to take him to a vet. We live on a farm so are
      > used to doctoring animals. Have a bottle of Kote N Heal or Wound Kote
      > that they use on hunting dogs' injured feet and wondered if I dare put
      > that on the cat. Or do I just leave it alone since there is no sign of
      > infection? I'll keep him inside as long as he's willing because I don't
      > think he needs to be walking on these feet outside. Any suggestions as
      > to what might have caused this problem and any treatment would really be
      > appreciated.

      I would leave it alone unless you see signs of infection, or he stops
      wanting to put any weight on his feet. Cats are pretty good at healing
      themselves, and they have a peroxide-like antiseptic in their saliva
      (that's why black cats can turn red or even blond(e)).

      How it happened - he probably has ice-burns on his paw pads. I know
      you said it was relatively warm, but it still may have required walking
      across something cold enough to injure his paws. (like a kid licking
      a flag pole) I suspect this because if it were chemical, he would
      be more sick than this. If it were caustic enough to burn his paws,
      he would have licked it off and also burned his tongue - and would
      not be eating.

      Domestic cat paws, especially short-haired cats, aren't protected
      against ice and cold the way wild cats who live in snow country are -
      if you Google for 'paw pads on cats', look for the snow leopard, any of
      the northern lynx (Siberian, Canadian), etc., and you'll see that
      there's a lot of fur on the bottom of those feet.

      Domestic cats that came from 'natural' species - like a Maine Coon
      or other cat that came from northern or higher elevations also have a
      lot of fur around their paw pads.

      Equally, cats that come from hot areas - Caracals and Servals, and
      Abyssinian, have tiny paws without a lot of pad. The snow-living cats
      need big feet to walk on top of snow, but need pad protection; while
      sand-living cats also need to keep their feet from burning, but don't
      need the big 'snowshoes' to keep from falling through the snow.

      I wouldn't put anything on it - if he does show signs of infection (the
      paws swell, blister, he seems sick, stops eating, stops walking), then
      see if you can get him to a vet. Otherwise - if you can keep him inside
      until the cold is over, it will be a good deed for him.

      IOW - I think it's more likely he walked across something that 'burned'
      his paws, rather than frostbite/burn.

      dg
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic