glad I found this group!

  • Deborah Bier, PhD
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 17, 2009
      Hello, all from waaaay over in Concord:

      I am so happy to have stumbled upon this list! I was thinking (with
      substantial chagrin) just the other day that since I knew of no local
      group about raising poultry I might have to start one. I am so glad
      that's already been done!

      My husband and I are thinking chickens and/or ducks for this spring.
      I've never raised any type of bird, but he raised ducklings long ago.
      Neither of us really have much exposure to this -- closest I've come
      was last spring cleaning out a local hen house (hi, Marjie, and
      thanks for all the manure!) So we are in the
      learning/thinking/talking stages.

      Otherwise on the homestead front, we are backyard farmers. We are
      successfully completing our first year of 12 month
      gardening/harvesting. We are using both a solar greenhouse and low
      tunnels on the outdoor beds (powered by some fine Carlisle poop).
      Again in the learning stages, but very much in an active mode. Every
      time I have to discard damaged veggies as I garden, I think "wow, it
      would be great to give this to some chickens!" I blog a fair amount
      on the ConcordMA.com blog about our year-round gardening (and other
      things Concord) at http://www.Concordma.com/blog -- photos of the
      recent state of garden affairs at the top of the blog right now.

      I "know" a few of you here from the Concord Discussion list....
      looking forward to continue reading your archives here. (I'm on
      message 82... have a ways to go!)

      best,
      Debbie

      --
      http://www.GreaterWellbeing.com - 978 369-8454

      Wellness Education, Counseling & Coaching
      Holistic Healthcare, Whole Food Nutrition
    • Deborah Bier, PhD/Greater Wellbeing.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 18, 2009
        RE: [CarlisleChickenGroup] glad I found this group!
        As much as you make total sense, Fiona, but from a TOTALLY selfish standpoint, I'd love to see your girls and their homes earlier than later. That way, planning time is greater for newbies like us.

        But I would totally understand if others might prefer a group tour when the weather is more fair (could it get much worse? Wait -- don't answer that...). I could always do some lone visits sooner.

        best,
        Debbie

        At 11:03 AM -0500 12/18/09, Fiona Sibley wrote:
        I would propose that since the winter garden tromp needs to be a separate event that we schedule the coop tour for sometime in late March/early April?  The weather will be warmer - chickens out, spring sports not started yet - so folks usually have less busy weekends that time of year.  We could also end the tour with our annual meeting/potluck and it would be early enough to plan some spring group chick orders.

        Just a thought.
        Fiona

        From: Fiona Sibley <
        fiona@...>