RE: [CarlisleChickenGroup] Ducks

  • Eva evadiva
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2012
      we had few runners, and my Shepard loved them, they certainly were not scared of him at all, but before we started working  raccoon got them, as i was late to  close the chicken coop.  heart breaking.  My dog found all but one in the woods.  Very sad.  Lesson learned.  the wild life waits for me to slip up....  I ll put up electric fencing for those instances that we are vulnerable.  So very curious how well this breed would work with dogs.  Brady certainly loved them, moved them with his nose from my bathroom to other when they were going for a swim (when they were babies).  it was the cutest thing. So very interested in finding more resources and people to talk to who do herding of ducks with dogs.
      Eva

      Evadiva@...

      To: CarlisleChickenGroup@yahoogroups.com
      From: rigleyman@...
      Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 16:22:58 -0400
      Subject: Re: [CarlisleChickenGroup] Ducks

      Hi Eva - it is more personalities and use.  I'm ready to retire the Tufted Ducks and they are a bit heavy weight for herding. But adorable so I'd like
      to place them with nice people and not duck soup people if possible.

      Indian runners are for more experienced dogs and trainers, but Anoconas and Blue Swedes are nice happy medium ducks.

      Of course - I do love the Call Ducks but I've been told you don't want to work them alot or it causes your dog to be pushy.

      Judy

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2012
        Hello Everyone,

        Does anyone know of a place that sells pullets? We've done some searching but have come up dry. We would like to get some more hens but would prefer not to go through the chick stage at this time. We have always had Buff Orpingtons and have been very happy with their friendliness, egg laying capacity, and hardiness. We would prefer to get more Orpingtons or try some Delawares for the same qualities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Tony and Bev Mariano
        Carlisle
      • Terry Golson
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2012
          Just a caveat. There's always a risk of bringing disease into the flock when you bring in pullets. Even what look like perfectly healthy pullets. I know someone who got pullets from Tom Doherty, the poultry dealer in Littleton, and her flock came down with fowl pox. The new pullet never showed symptoms and was likely the carrier.

          That said, I've brought pullets into my flock - but wanted to point out the risks.

          Many of the mail order hatcheries now sell pullets. Also, go to the Middlesex 4-H fair at the end of the month. The kids there usually have very nice chickens for sale.

          --Terry

          --
          Terry Golson
          new blog! The Vintage Hen

          On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:23 PM, The Marianos wrote:

          Hello Everyone,

          Does anyone know of a place that sells pullets? We've done some searching but have come up dry. We would like to get some more hens but would prefer not to go through the chick stage at this time. We have always had Buff Orpingtons and have been very happy with their friendliness, egg laying capacity, and hardiness. We would prefer to get more Orpingtons or try some Delawares for the same qualities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

          Thanks,
          Tony and Bev Mariano
          Carlisle

        • Elizabeth Allen
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2012
            Hi Tony & Bev,

            Although we never purchased pullets, just chicks,from them, My Pet Chicken.com is a good place to look:

            Good luck!

            -Elizabeth llen

            On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:23 PM, The Marianos wrote:

            Hello Everyone,

            Does anyone know of a place that sells pullets? We've done some searching but have come up dry. We would like to get some more hens but would prefer not to go through the chick stage at this time. We have always had Buff Orpingtons and have been very happy with their friendliness, egg laying capacity, and hardiness. We would prefer to get more Orpingtons or try some Delawares for the same qualities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

            Thanks,
            Tony and Bev Mariano
            Carlisle

          • Ken Grady
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2012
              I just found a girl that works up at the Danvers Agway that sells chicks & pullets - Ashley's Chickens - http://ashleyschickens.webs.com - awchickens@...

              I've ordered a half dozen pullets from her for this fall - will let you know how it works out.

              Cheers,
              Ken

              On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:23 PM, The Marianos <tbdmmariano@...> wrote:

              Hello Everyone,

              Does anyone know of a place that sells pullets? We've done some searching but have come up dry. We would like to get some more hens but would prefer not to go through the chick stage at this time. We have always had Buff Orpingtons and have been very happy with their friendliness, egg laying capacity, and hardiness. We would prefer to get more Orpingtons or try some Delawares for the same qualities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

              Thanks,
              Tony and Bev Mariano
              Carlisle

            • Deborah Bier, PhD/Greater Wellbeing.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 2012
                Re: [CarlisleChickenGroup] Pullets
                I've emailed with her in the past, though I didnt' end up buying anything from her.  She is a sweetie and really seems to love the birds.

                -d

                At 3:16 PM -0400 8/5/12, Ken Grady wrote:

[...]

                http://www.GreaterWellbeing.com - 978 369-8454

                Wellness Education, Counseling & Coaching
                Holistic Healthcare, Whole Food Nutrition