D'Alessandros & Pecoraros

  • grsanger@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2005
      I am new to the Carini research group.  I am a 30 year old, 2nd-generation American.  My paternal grandparents were both from Sicily.  My grandmother was born in Carini in 1911 and her birth name was Giuseppina Pecoraro.  She had three sisters and two younger brothers.  She immigrated to the U.S. through Ellis Island when she was 12 --- 1923? -- and settled first in Philadelphia and then later in Brooklyn.  She married my grandfather, who was also originally from the Carini area. His name was Benedetto D'Alessandro.  He immigrated to this country in the early 1920's as well.  I have not noticed either of these surnames --- Pecoraro or D'Alessandro --- in any of the other emails on your website.  I'm wondering if you've come across anybody else with ancestors with these surnames and/or knowledge of this family?  I have very little knowledge of my granparents' families prior to their immigration to America.  I would love to fine out more.  Thank you,
      Giuseppina R. Sanger
    • carini_sicilia
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2005
        Hello Giuseppina and welcome! Pecoraro is a very common name in
        Sicily, and one of the oldest in Carini. I have Pecoraro in my
        direct line, tracing it back at this point to Filippo Pecoraro who
        was born about 1705 and married Giovanna Mazzola in Carini .
        D'Alessandro is also found in Carini, and as you can guess, common
        all over Italy.
        You say that she came at age 12 or so. I looked for her in the Ellis
        Island Manifests online, and don't seem to find her, even under
        Giuseppa or Maria Giuseppina/Giuseppa. Would you happen to know her
        parents names? Where did she live in 1930, and if you could supply
        any of her siblings names that would be helpful as well. Her death
        or marriage record would list parents (or at least the marriage for
        sure) do you have access to those records?

        Hope to hear from you soon!!

        James Bianco
        Moderator
      • grsanger@comcast.net