Re: [CF] Trolls

  • tomfrostjr
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2004
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Steve Geller <stgeller@c...> wrote:

      > >Now I've heard of trolls, but I'm not sure exactly what is meant
      by the
      > >term.
      >
      > In the context of email lists, a Troll is one posts his messages on
      > any list, with no regard for relevancy. The Troll thinks his
      > subject is of interest to everyone.
      >
      > Troll messages should be immediately deleted. Never reply to a
      Troll,
      > or acknowledge them in any way; they probably don't read replies
      anyway.
      > Most Trolls are output-only.

      TF: I think you're describing spammers, not trolls. Even
      CyclingFieldofHonor has deleted spammers. Trolls, on the other hand,
      _do_ often enjoy reading a response. They buy a popcorn, tune in to
      their opponents' favorite yahoo groups, and do a search of their own
      name hoping to enjoy watching the response to their latest
      counterattack (or sometimes, even _more_ satisfyingly, pin-drop
      silence, which they take as an indication that they'e won their
      argument).

      Here's my advice from having dabbled in the above methodology myself
      on the lists that _Jym_ embellished the tale of my piddling number of
      posts on (and he embellished the tale more than I thought - I re-read
      them and there was _no_ mention of any book-signing): If you can't
      resist mentioning a troll's name, then at least replace some of the
      letters in it with asterisks. That way, they don't find their name
      when they're doing a search of it, and this enables everybody to turn
      off their computer and go do something more worthwhile.

      - Tom Frost Jr.