Re: [CF] Re: The "Hair Shirt" is Illusory

  • J. Bruce Fields
    Message 1 of 79 , May 2 7:28 PM
      On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 07:46:17PM -0400, RIIN GILL wrote:
      > I wonder if there's some way to reach cyclists who are only interested in
      > recreation and more obsessed in having the latest gadget and get them to
      > realize cycling is cool for its own sake. Cool in the other sense. Get
      > them to realize they could use cycling for transportation. Obviously a
      > lot of cyclists do start out just cycling for recreation and then start
      > using the bike for transportation as well. How are they different from
      > the ones who don't?

      I always hear a certain amount of fear. "We ride outside Ann Arbor all
      the time", someone told me when I was staffing a table at some fair last
      year, "but there's too much traffic in town--it's crazy!"

      Whereas I look at those long country roads and see bored drivers on
      cruise control, and feel more comfortable with the denser (but slower)
      traffic downtown.

      I've always thought that people just need a few of the basic effective
      cycling skills--how to negotiate lane changes, make left turns,
      etc.--and then they'll start to feel more comfortable in urban traffic.
      We have clubs and magazines and stuff where people can pick up touring
      and racing skills, but simple maneuvers at urban intersections are
      something everyone seems to figure out on their own.

      But maybe it takes something else to overcome the habit of thinking of
      cycling as a game or a pleasant way to enjoy nature, and of driving as
      the only reliable way to get somewhere.

      --b.
    • Steve Robbins
      Message 79 of 79 , May 6 4:21 PM
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, JamesJFitz@J... wrote:
        > On Tue, 1 Jan 1980 47:28:59 -0500 JamesJFitz@J... writes:
        > >
        > > I've been looking for those "technologies not yet developed"
        > > on the Internet for a couple of years now. Must be doing it
        wrong!

        > DOH! I spoke to soon. We are saved!

        So why am I not thrilled? 10 to 12% fuel savings. Yuk. Make it 50%
        and I'll applaud. But I'm still not buying.

        Steve