Re: [CF] the worst idea for a park I've seen

  • fiveocelot@juno.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 9, 2004
      Ariel Kay wrote:

      >I worked for a manager at Procter & Gamble Company in Cincinnati who
      >never knew what the weather was and could care less. She drove to work
      >and parked in the underground garage, so even the coldest days in
      >winter did not affect her. She never knew whether it was raining or
      >sunny and it did not matter to her in the least. She never wanted to
      >"waste" time discussing the weather which was rather important to me.

      I've always been an outdoorsey person but I have to remind myself that a lot of people aren't, often with a bit of bewilderment on my part, and I'm sure on theirs,too. Once I biked to the local butcher shop on a nice sunny spring day of 40 F, with some 10-15mph winds. The clerk was a little suprized since most people don't bike so early in the season and inquired about the weather. I laughed and said without thinking that it was the nicest day all winter winter. This caused all the clerks and customers to laugh, and I had to stop and figure that one out. I mean really, it was above freezing and with only gusty winds. I hadn't even had to wear goggles or a ski mask, or even my wool army pants. Go figure!? My problem in winter cycling is not getting too cold, its managing sweat so that when I stop I won't chill. It's not any different than x-county skiing really. But whenever I tell people that they don't believe me.

      I think disassociation from nature is a big problem. Clear cutting forests is of course is an extreme example, but I think the attitude starts once you step out your front door. I had an aikido book that talked about aikido teaching people to embrace nature; not just training on the beach of in the woods or parks, but accepting the hot summer dojo (which is not air conditioned) as a part of accepting the nature of summer, or accepting winter and the cold dojo when hitting the mat seems harder. In aikido, which means Way of Harmony in Japanese, you don't have enemies or opponents, you have people who help you learn aikido, from your training partner in the dojo to the jerk that wants your wallet. The book recommended people to think of the heat or cold as a training partner.

      Just the other day my wife and I were discussing becoming friends with summer, and broadening that to starting to become friends with winter too. Riding is a great way to do that because there you are out in nature wherever you go. I notice that after a long spell of the bike due to disability I am reaquainting myself with relying on my body for transportation and being incredibly close to the weather on a daily basis. I wish the local weather guys paid as much attention on the wind speed and direction as they do on the temperature.

      "And now for the 5 o'clock weather report- Windom hill has suddenly grown twice as high, and Capitol hill is now uphill both ways. Be cautious when crossing the river because the Third street bridge is leaning sideways now."

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • KMF
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9, 2004
        Wow I really liked what you had to say about winter biking and the aikido way. Can I quote you in my live journal?

        Regards
        Khalil

        For problems email; CarFree-owners@yahoogroups.com

      • fiveocelot@juno.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 10, 2004
          Thanks Khalil, knock yourself out. I've corrected some typos. Too bad I don't recall which book I got that from. I might have conflated several books come to think of it.

          Fiveocelot (AKA Sorcha Keepers)

          >Wow I really liked what you had to say about winter biking and the >aikido way. Can I quote you in my live journal?

          >Regards
          >Khalil
          >I worked for a manager at Procter & Gamble Company in Cincinnati who
          >never knew what the weather was and could care less. She drove to work

          >and parked in the underground garage, so even the coldest days in
          >winter did not affect her. She never knew whether it was raining or
          >sunny and it did not matter to her in the least. She never wanted to
          >"waste" time discussing the weather which was rather important
          to me.

          I've always been an outdoorsey person but I have to remind myself that a lot of people aren't, often with a bit of bewilderment on my part, and I'm sure on theirs,too. Once I biked to the local butcher shop on a nice sunny spring day of 40 F, with some 10-15mph winds. The clerk was a little surprised since most people don't bike so early in the season and inquired about the weather. I laughed and said without thinking that it was the nicest day all winter. This caused all the clerks and customers to laugh, and I had to stop and figure that one out. I mean really, it was above freezing and with only gusty winds. I hadn't even had to wear goggles or a ski mask, or even my wool army pants. Go figure!? My problem in winter cycling is not getting too cold, its managing sweat so that when I stop I won't chill. It's not any different than x-county skiing really. But whenever I tell people that they don't believe me.

          I think disassociation from nature is a big problem. Clear cutting forests is of course an extreme example, but I think the attitude starts once you step out your front door. I had an aikido book that talked about aikido teaching people to embrace nature; not just training on the beach of in the woods or parks, but accepting the hot summer dojo (which is not air conditioned)as a part of accepting the nature of summer, or accepting winter and the cold dojo when hitting the mat seems harder. In aikido, which means Way of Harmony in Japanese, you don't have enemies or opponents, you have people who help you learn aikido, from your training partner in the dojo to the jerk that wants your
          wallet. The book recommended people think of the heat or cold as a training partner.

          Just the other day my wife and I were discussing becoming friends with summer, and broadening that to starting to become friends with winter too. Riding is a great way to do that because there you are out in nature wherever you go. I notice that after a long spell off the bike due to disability I am reaquainting myself with relying on my body for transportation and being incredibly close to the weather on a daily basis. I wish the local weather guys paid as much attention on the wind speed and direction as they do on the temperature.

          "And now for the 5 o'clock weather report- Windom hill has suddenly grown twice as high, and Capitol hill is now uphill both ways. Be cautious when crossing the river because the Third street bridge is leaning sideways now."

          ______

          Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Steve Robbins
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 12, 2004
            Sir:

            Is it not a fact that the earth has been both much colder and much
            warmer that today, and as such times that man could not have been a
            significant factor in that state? The fact of the matter is that
            warming is neither good, nor bad for the planet. Cooling also, is
            neither good nor bad for the long-term health of the planet, or even
            that of the eco-system. However, both may be bad for us. Your tag
            line about the planet's immune system is true: we, not the planet
            are those in danger. If so, the planet will chug along happily
            without us, just as it pedals along without dinosaurs.

            Extinctions are a fact of life, and most life forms are now extinct.
            Extinction is necessary to make room for new life forms, and without
            it we could not have existed. It is such a shame that we feign
            concern for the planet when we are really only concerned for our own
            miserable skins.

            Steve