Kerry Pandering to Cagers

  • Robert J. Matter
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      This is depressing. Kerry is pandering to cagers' demands for cheap gas.

      http://www.gristmagazine.com/muck/muck033104.asp

      -Bob Matter
      -----------
      Chicagoland Folding Bike Society
      Dedicated to the promotion of folding bicycles
      and enhancement of the folding bike experience.
      http://www.geocities.com/rjmatter/
    • lsegnitz
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Robert J. Matter" <rjmatter@p...>
        wrote:
        > This is depressing. Kerry is pandering to cagers' demands for cheap
        gas.

        > http://www.gristmagazine.com/muck/muck033104.asp

        The pandering is already well under way. Here in Canada several
        provincial elections have been fought over car insurance premiums.
        The winner is the one who promises the deepest freeze on premiums.

        I would expect that in another year or two there will be actual gas
        subsidies. For the moment governments are getting away with gas
        taxes but as prices rise and oil companies seek to divert attention
        away from themselves they will point to taxes. I suppose as gas taxes
        disappear and subsidies start taking a huge chunk of government
        budgets politicians are going to go looking for money from the social
        programs, if there are any programs left to raid.

        Will people "get it" and switch to sustainable transportation? Not so
        long as governments are pandering to them. In fact I'll bet subsidies
        will be seen as a way for "those tax evading pedestrians & cyclists
        to finally pay their way".

        Lenard Segnitz,
        Kamloops, BC, Canada.