sustrans data

  • billt44hk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2004
      I've just been reading about the extremely interesting research
      being carried out by Sustrans, the UK sustainable transport charity.
      Their consultants Socialdata have discovered a 10:30:50 rule.
      An average of
      10% of car journeys are up to 1km
      30% up to 3km
      50% up to 5km
      This seems to be an average not only in the 7 towns they're studying
      in the UK.
      'the prevallence of short car trips and hence a ready market for
      walking and cycling is a pattern repeated all over the world.'
      And the significance of consumerism generating most trips (rather
      than commuting) is surprising- more than half of all trips and 44%
      of car trips are for 'shopping and leisure'.
      The average walking distance trip is 1.1km and 'the door to door
      speed advantage of car travel over walking for these trips is at
      best slight'

      'On average 28% of car journeys are within range of of the average
      cycle journey which is 3.3km, and the average door to door speed is
      the same 11kph'.

      What i detect from this is that easily the most viable alternative
      to the car for at least 80% of trips would appear to be the
      bicycle, -not walking or Public Transport- by which I mean imagine
      the scale of any PT network capable of allowing everyone to travel
      between 1 and 5km with such ease.
      Bill T
    • De Clarke
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
        billt44hk (telomsha@...) wrote:
        > I've just been reading about the extremely interesting research
        > being carried out by Sustrans, the UK sustainable transport charity.
        > 'the prevallence of short car trips and hence a ready market for
        > walking and cycling is a pattern repeated all over the world.'

        I can't help noticing what a downright weird way Sustrans phrased
        that. a "market for" something that *isn't* a consumable, like
        independent mobility? independent mobility by walking or cycling
        is the exact reverse of a "market" for transportation: when people
        are independently mobile they rescue mobility from being privatised
        and commodified, and free themselves from being helpless "consumers"
        of controlling systems like the auto/car/freeway/oil cartels. they
        save money instead of spending it. they consume less. they don't
        have to accept the prepackaged "options" that masquerade as "freedom of
        choice" in sales gabble, but can go where they please when they please,
        at their own speed. a "market for bicycles" I could understand, or a
        "market for shoes." but a "market for walking"? whom could we pay to
        walk for us, or to sell us "walking"?

        it seems that market ideology has got such a grip on our culture that
        we can only talk about people freeing themselves from monopoly markets,
        by describing them as a "ready market" for freedom from markets!

        <shakes head, bewildered grin>

        de

        :Mail: de@... | Your planet's immune system is trying to get rid :
        :Web: www.ucolick.org | of you. --Kurt Vonnegut :
        :1024D/B9C9E76E | F892 5F17 8E0A F095 05CD EE8B D169 EDAA B9C9 E76E: