Re: [CarFree] European question

  • Malcolm Parry
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2000
      I was reading an article about oil prices and how they affect European
      people and politics (full article at
      http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/updates/lat_eurogas000330.htm )

      So I have a question, this guy Albrect, who is an "analyst with the German
      Automobile Club" said:

      "People are reacting very emotionally now because for us, gas is like the
      price of
      bread in other countries," Albrecht said. "Gasoline is a major factor in
      most family budgets."

      now, they just got through saying that American's gasoline consumption is
      50% than some european average (not sure what that is? 1000 gal/year?), and
      that gasoline in Germany recently went above 2 DM/litre, which is supposed
      to convert to $3.80 / gallon.
      So do you think that Albrect's statement is true? (in general, not for
      "carfree" people)

      Dear L Danish

      Using Dept. of Transport, Environment and Regions (interesting
      juxtaposition of conflicting? interests here) data here in the UK, a
      typical nuclear (ahem) family could be spending around 3000 UK
      pounds (4500 US dollars) so this could form a significant fraction of
      income (esp after tax) I think median earnings are around 20000
      UK pounds before tax and deductions, but both adults may not be
      full earners in the above scenario. Of course, the mean annual
      mileage is significantly inflated by ludicrous commuting distances
      and the driving of children to school etc. Apparently this latter
      journey frequently results in a drive straight back home again -
      there is a limit to the number of shopping/recycling (ha) trips which
      can be coordinated into the school-run. More seriously, the
      massive commercial mileages undertaken for goods production and
      distribution which I assume are partially affected by rising petrol
      prices, result in higher prices for all the contents of the consumer
      basket. As an example, I heard of pasta produced in Italy being
      driven to Scotland for sauce and packaging to be added before
      being redistributed (by road of course) to places like Cornwall...
      Whatever happenned to haggis and pasties...

      Best wishes

      Malcolm Parry