Bypasses make more traffic

  • Theo Schmidt
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2003
      "billt44hk" <telomsha@...> wrote:

      >...the following preamble in the "alternative" traffic
      >engineers' consultancy report -a company by the way naming
      >itself "Sustainable Transport Consultants" and you can hardly get
      >more greenwash than that. All comments on this welcomed please:-
      >
      >Preliminary Note on the Need for a Central-Wanchai bypass...

      Bypasses always create more traffic. This is well known but is denied
      by authorities, politicians and populations. If the area being
      bypassed is then completely closed off to traffic there is then of
      course a local improvement, but everywhere else suffers because the
      bypass can transport more traffic than the congested area did before.

      However what usually happens is that the bypassed area *is not*
      closed off because residents want their access and businesses want
      their motorised customers. What therefore happens is that initially
      there is less traffic in the bypassed area but that it soon picks up
      and usually becomes more than before, even though there may some
      reduction of congestion peaks.

      The Schlachthausgasse in Vienna was bypassed in 1978 with a 6-lane
      highway, the A23. Before the bypass, in 1978, this road had 22'000
      vehicles per day. After the bypass was built, in 1978, it had 7'000
      vehicles per day. However, ten years later, in 1988, it had 26'000
      vehicles, and there where an additional 80'000 vehicles per day using
      the "bypass". See
      http://www.umverkehr.ch/static/symposium/knoflacher_web.pdf
      on page 14 (in German, but with diagrams). This is by Herman
      Knoflacher, a professor of traffic planning at a university in
      Vienna, one of the few experts who isn't car-addled.

      Theo Schmidt, Switzerland

      PS We have our own local issue here. The city of Thun has peak
      congestion causing 5-10 minute delays for car drivers. (Buses and
      cyclists don't suffer much because of reserved lanes.) The
      authorities and governments want to build two bypasses costing
      hundreds of millions, even though there is no money. The population
      will of course vote on this, but so far only the greenest of the
      green see the obvious, so the only thing which will help is a severe
      recession before the money can be raised. The people don't realise,
      that tough as it may be for the poor people living next to the
      congested roads, the congestion is actually a welcome regulative
      which helps defer a further growth of traffic.
    • Shelly Nelson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
        In this valley of 100,000 people in western Colorado, local voters
        recently approved funding for a bypass around the downtown area.
        (Bleh) On the last plans I saw, this riverfront parkway was going to
        obliterate some of the lovely bicycle paths along the Colorado River.

        However, they did not approve funding to replace, or even upgrade,
        our sad looking public library.....

        Shelly Nelson

      • Will Waggoner
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
          Argh - where in the western valley? Living in Boulder
          sometimes makes me forget the rest of CO isn't like
          our little burg.

          On a recent trip to Moab I spied the paths along the
          river and made a mental note to take the touring bike
          out and ride them... How long do I have before
          there's nothing but auto traffic?

          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • Shelly Nelson
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
            I'm in beautiful sunny Grand Junction (although it is cloudy today)

            I'm a transplant from Massachusetts, to Wyoming for 7 years, then to
            here. Now that I've gotten used to this metropolis (after living in
            WY, 4 people per square mile) I often forget that there is a
            humungous sprawling city over the other side of that hill to the east
            of here.

            I don't think that the bypass will be built for a few years. The bike
            trails along the river aren't long enough for a long ride, only a few
            miles. But bring your bike and ride Rimrock Drive in Colorado
            National Monument. Aaaawwwwwwweeeeessssoooooommmmmmeeeeee!

            --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Will Waggoner <willwaggoner@y...>