The homeless home builder (Was: Criminals)

  • tomfrostjr
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2003
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, JamesJFitz@J... wrote:

      > What part of a Vee Dubya engine is 250 pounds?

      TF: Not 250-pound engine parts; rather, 250-pound pile driver parts,
      the biggest single ones of which were the engine and the hammer at
      250 pounds each. (The engine was borrowed from my "cage", but even if
      it hadn't been, there was 3 miles of water which would have still
      impelled me to build the rickshaw to rely on while on the island
      where I aimed to live.) I guess 250 pounds was the weight of the
      average one of the several dozen rickshaw loads that it took to build
      the 16'x16', 2-story house. The heaviest 9 loads, consisting of the 9
      pilings, were perhaps 400 pounds each. On the hard sand of low tide,
      I usually pushed or pulled the rickshaw by hand (the handle consisted
      of an ~14' piece of driftwood lumber), but with the lightest loads, I
      could pull it behind a one-speed balloon-tired bike that I kept out
      there.

      > And why a pile driver?

      Because I built the house on sand! (Sort of like cycling-advocacy
      organizations that don't base their positions on the Bicyclists'
      Rights Triad http://www.newmilfordbike.com/Triad.htm !) And sand is
      what I had my head in, about the fact that this Virginia barrier
      island was migrating west (and it turned out to be doing so at more
      feet per average year than I thought). That's why my dream house is
      no longer there! But it lasted more decades than most of them out
      there, as a result of the pilings being driven 8 feet in like the
      rich guys do.

      > Was that instead of an outhouse? :-) :-) :-)

      TF: Outhouse?!!!!!! Too fancy for me; I rarely use anything fancier
      than a tree in the woods to lean on. Don't you know that the nitrogen
      is supposed to go on _top_ of the soil, where it does some _good_?

      Well the so-called environmentalists down there, one of whom buzzed
      by in his private plane every day, don't know such things.
      Environmentalists want your nitrogen to be deposited directly into
      the groundwater where, according to even _them_, it does some _harm_!
      So, these more-loving-of-piping-plovers-than-you-or-me do-gooders
      sicked the county on us to make us build a huge septic tank and a
      _very_ disturbing-of-piping-plover-territory drainfield to go with
      it!

      And it never saw a single turd.

      - Tom Frost Jr.