Airplanes and Amtrack

  • Dan Kavanagh
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hello All,

      I enjoyed this while I was over at Orion Magazine

      http://www.oriononline.org/pages/om/03-5om/Rasmussen.html

      Excerpted text......

      If you were a lawyer charged with prosecuting
      the perps of global climate change, you could
      put together a pretty strong case against
      contrails.

      Consider, if you will:

      Exhibit A. The world is cloudier than it was
      a few decades ago -- as much as five percent
      cloudier over the United States and Europe.

      Exhibit B. The increased cloud cover has
      coincided with the advent of jet travel.

      Exhibit C. The places that have grown
      cloudier are the same places that
      accommodate the most passenger jets. One
      study found increased cloud cover at
      stations beneath major jet lanes in the
      Midwest and Northeast, but not at stations
      beyond.

      Exhibit D. Cirrus clouds account for the
      bulk of the additional cloudiness.

      Exhibit E. Contrails, like cirrus clouds,
      require the presence of minute particles to
      give ice crystals something to attach to. A
      1996 study found that more than half of
      such particles detected in the troposphere
      came from jet engines.

      Exhibit F. Cirrus clouds are heat-trappers.
      They let solar radiation pass through and
      strike the Earth, but tend to reflect
      radiation that bounces back from the
      Earth's surface and would otherwise return
      to space.

      Prisons full of criminals have been convicted on
      flimsier evidence. Scientists, though, are more
      cautious than prosecutors. They want more
      testimony, more evidence. They point out that
      we still lack some of the most basic
      information, such as how many contrails are
      really up there.

      End Excerpted text.....

      Something to ponder. I sure wish I could take a high speed train up the
      coast to visit my family once a year.

      Did anyone notice that Amtrak employees are threatening an Oct. 3rd.
      strike "to draw attention to what they say is chronic under funding by
      the government"

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23886-2003Sep17.html

      Spun a bit as a labour issue by the unions. Does not fail to mention
      that Amtrak has never made a profit? But has any airline if you add up
      the infrastructure costs paid for by municipalities and states and the
      federal government? After all no airline actually owns its airports,
      they lease space. They own the planes which can conveniently fly away
      and be parked in the Arizona desert if your podunk town don't fit the
      required profit profile.

      Beauty Eh?,
      Dan

      --