Re: [CF] hauling that puppy chow (or other stuff)

  • Robert J. Matter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2003
      "Lorenzo L. Love" wrote:

      > All those empty wine bottles might explain a lot of things. :-)

      "Wine gives a man nothing... it only puts in motion what had been locked up in frost."
      --Samuel Johnson

      > This type of seat post mounting has a reputation for adversely effecting
      > bicycle handling and balance compared to chain stay or axle mounts. I
      > would imagine that having the cargo in a non-rigid container would not
      > help any. How do you find the handling with this trailer loaded?

      Yeah, you can feel weight shifting behind you with a heavy load. This is further exacerbated if the donut ring that goes around your seatpost is not secured tight enough (Allen screws).

      > I use a BOB Coz which I like for shopping for it's locking ability.
      > Unfortunately, it also is no longer being made.

      I have a nice little S-Cargo two wheeled trailer http://pages.prodigy.net/rjmatter/gallery/red01.jpg that handles loads very well. It attaches to the rear dropouts with 5mm bolts, sharing the holes with the rear rack. In fact it folds to become a rear rack, but I don't use it as such. It weighs 9 lbs. and is rated for 35 lbs. I believe.

      -Bob Matter
      Riding my bike, not driving it, in Chicagoland.
      "We have spent the last seventy years making driving convenient and life
      inconvenient. Well, as I've said before, what has been built can be unbuilt,
      and something new put in its place.... If we begin, little by little, making
      driving less convenient, eventually we will get around to making human life
      more convenient - and we might at last put the civility back into
      civilization." --Richard Risemberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2003
        > I use a BOB Coz which I like for shopping for [its] locking
        > ability. Unfortunately, it also is no longer being made.

        =v= It used a Rubbermaid "Action Packer" container, in two
        sizes. The BicycleR Evolution trailer also uses this:

        http://www.bikerev.com/

        (One variety of Coz had a shorter verison of this container.)
        <_Jym_>

        Jym Dyer ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: __Q :::
        jym@... ::::::::::::::::: "My other car is :: ==`\(x ::
        http://www.things.org/~jym/ :::: also a bicycle." :: O-/ `O ::

        The only hope for the world is to slow down. Let them all
        go 15 miles an hour because we're trying to kill each other,
        and it's pretty stupid. The government is helping us do it,
        in my opinion, through the military-industrial-complex
        conspiracy with all the oil companies and the auto companies.
        We're going faster, we're killing everybody and we're angry
        all the time. The only way to fix that is to tear up all
        the asphalt. I'm going to start doing it, one pothole at a
        time. Dig a pothole, save the world!
        -- Tom Magliozzi, of "Car Talk"