Re: [CF] hauling that puppy chow (or other stuff)

  • Lorenzo L. Love
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2003
      Robert J. Matter wrote:
      > De Clarke wrote:
      >
      >>I saw a very interesting trailer the other day. it was
      >>called a Wheele, or perhaps that was the maker's name.
      >>it was basically a wheeled travois, attached at the seatpost.
      >>
      >>a strongpoint mount was clamped to the post and a QR fitting of
      >>some kind attached a long alloy pole which swept back and over
      >>the rear wheel like one of thos ride-along bike extensions for
      >>kiddies. this "spine" had welded to it two strong cross bars
      >>orthogonal to it (more or less parallel to the ground), and
      >>from these depended a sort of "hammock" of coated cordura. the
      >>whole assembly was strong enough, so the rider told me, to
      >>carry a surfboard (this may have been the original design
      >>intent). he, however, was filling it up with groceries. he
      >>mentioned that the long pivot arm telescopes or folds, and the
      >>whole thing collapses down to a size storable in a small house
      >>or apt.
      >>
      >>he could not tell me where to purchase one, as he got his
      >>while serving as the editor of a bike mag. it was a review
      >>sample or something of the kind.
      >>
      >>it would work great for hauling dog food. if anyone has
      >>seen one of these Wheele things I would like to know more
      >>about 'em. the reach of the pivot arm was such that I
      >>think one might even be able to attach it to an Xtracycle
      >>for a real tractor/trailer hauling expedition.
      >>
      >>de
      >

      > I have a Wheele trailer
      >
      > http://pages.prodigy.net/rjmatter/gallery/trailer.jpg
      >
      > They aren't made anymore AFAIK. A friend of mine gave me this one. There is supposed to be an elastic cover you can fit over the top of the trailer but he lost it.
      >
      > In the middle of the frame tube there is a sleeve that unscrews and slides back (black and white segment in the picture) revealing a hinge so the trailer can be folded in half. It is very space efficient.
      >
      > My problem is I can't use it with any bikes that have a rear rack because the frame tube won't clear it. The bike in the photo now has a combination rear rack and basket on it.
      >
      > I'd kind of like to put another bike together that I could use this trailer with. It would be ideal for going to the laundromat when the machines in my apartment building are busy or not working.
      >
      > -Bob Matter

      All those empty wine bottles might explain a lot of things. :-)

      This type of seat post mounting has a reputation for adversely effecting
      bicycle handling and balance compared to chain stay or axle mounts. I
      would imagine that having the cargo in a non-rigid container would not
      help any. How do you find the handling with this trailer loaded?

      I use a BOB Coz which I like for shopping for it's locking ability.
      Unfortunately, it also is no longer being made.

      Lorenzo L. Love
      http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

      "We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and
      security may come at a substantial price in freedom, that law and order
      can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual liberties
      surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost."
      Walter Cronkite, in the preface to the 1984 edition of 1984
    • Robert J. Matter
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2003
        "Lorenzo L. Love" wrote:

        > All those empty wine bottles might explain a lot of things. :-)

        "Wine gives a man nothing... it only puts in motion what had been locked up in frost."
        --Samuel Johnson

        > This type of seat post mounting has a reputation for adversely effecting
        > bicycle handling and balance compared to chain stay or axle mounts. I
        > would imagine that having the cargo in a non-rigid container would not
        > help any. How do you find the handling with this trailer loaded?

        Yeah, you can feel weight shifting behind you with a heavy load. This is further exacerbated if the donut ring that goes around your seatpost is not secured tight enough (Allen screws).

        > I use a BOB Coz which I like for shopping for it's locking ability.
        > Unfortunately, it also is no longer being made.

        I have a nice little S-Cargo two wheeled trailer http://pages.prodigy.net/rjmatter/gallery/red01.jpg that handles loads very well. It attaches to the rear dropouts with 5mm bolts, sharing the holes with the rear rack. In fact it folds to become a rear rack, but I don't use it as such. It weighs 9 lbs. and is rated for 35 lbs. I believe.

        -Bob Matter
        Riding my bike, not driving it, in Chicagoland.
        "We have spent the last seventy years making driving convenient and life
        inconvenient. Well, as I've said before, what has been built can be unbuilt,
        and something new put in its place.... If we begin, little by little, making
        driving less convenient, eventually we will get around to making human life
        more convenient - and we might at last put the civility back into
        civilization." --Richard Risemberg
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2003
          > I use a BOB Coz which I like for shopping for [its] locking
          > ability. Unfortunately, it also is no longer being made.

          =v= It used a Rubbermaid "Action Packer" container, in two
          sizes. The BicycleR Evolution trailer also uses this:

          http://www.bikerev.com/

          (One variety of Coz had a shorter verison of this container.)
          <_Jym_>

          Jym Dyer ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: __Q :::
          jym@... ::::::::::::::::: "My other car is :: ==`\(x ::
          http://www.things.org/~jym/ :::: also a bicycle." :: O-/ `O ::

          The only hope for the world is to slow down. Let them all
          go 15 miles an hour because we're trying to kill each other,
          and it's pretty stupid. The government is helping us do it,
          in my opinion, through the military-industrial-complex
          conspiracy with all the oil companies and the auto companies.
          We're going faster, we're killing everybody and we're angry
          all the time. The only way to fix that is to tear up all
          the asphalt. I'm going to start doing it, one pothole at a
          time. Dig a pothole, save the world!
          -- Tom Magliozzi, of "Car Talk"