The intangible costs of car ownership

  • John O. Andersen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2003
      We've talked about the financial costs of car ownership--which are considerable. But for some people, and certainly in the long run, the intangible costs might be even more onerous.

      Here a list off the top of my head:

      1. Possibly less connection with your immediate neighborhood. Fewer walks to the store? Fewer chats with neighbors? Greater sense of isolation?

      2. Lower state of physical fitness. Could automobility contribute to obesity? Could automobility be a factor in hardening of the arteries?

      3. Degraded air quality of local area.

      4. Noise pollution and traffic congestion.

      5. Missing the bonding that occurs on a family bike ride or regular family walks.

      6. Too many generic strip malls, and chain stores instead of unique locally owned shops, and markets.

      What else did I miss?

      John O. Andersen
      Unconventional Ideas:
      Counter-Mainstream Thoughts on Living Meaningfully in the 21st Century
      http://www.unconventionalideas.com